Search

Moving Google Drive between domains.

• Public
Started by Jacira de Hoog 26 Apr 2015 12:24pm () Replies (7)

Hi all, our school has created its own domain in GAFE and now I would like to move all my school stuff from my previous domain to the new one. Lenva has suggested Google Takeout.  Dioes anyone have any other ideas or tried to move between domains?

Many thanks

Jacira

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 26 Apr 2015 2:39pm ()

Hi Jacira,

Yes I would agree with Lenva.  Google takeout is the easiest option.  You don't need to select every google product you have, just your doc's if you want.  It puts them in a zip file, and then you can upload your files from there.  Our Y8 students did it last year as their High School wasn't GAFE.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 27 Apr 2015 3:00pm ()

Hi Jacira,

Google Takeout is very easy. However, if you have a GDocs you have shared with others and want them to remain that way, you could also go through the more lengthy process of sharing your GDrive content with the new account and handing over ownership of individual docs to this new account - or to any account you choose. It's very time consuming if you have lots of documents, but in my case I felt it was worthwhile for handing docs to my team leader when I left my last job.

Cheers, Monika

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 27 Apr 2015 3:19pm ()

When you leave a school, you don't need to individually transfer ownership of each key document one by one to team leaders etc. The person who eventually deletes your account is able to transfer ownership of documents to another person during this process (they get alert messages from Google offerening to delete or transfer documents). I have found this works well. Mind you, I guess those leaders may want access to these fairly quickly so you may want to do this sooner, as you suggest. Ultimately, any files essential to the school should be owned by a non-human user of the school - a central account created especially for this purpose and thus not affected when someone leaves the school.

It all takes time though....

Carol

• Katie Fowlds (View all users posts) 28 Apr 2015 7:56am ()

I agree that Google Takeout is the best for Google docs, especially as sharing, copying and transferring docs properly out of a school domain is very time consuming. I did find that i needed to come up with slightly different solutions for the rest of the Google Suite though (e.g. Blogger, Sites, YouTube), as that didn't appear to transfer easily.

I still need time to get organised to create a central school account for long term, whole school docs. However, this year I also want to look at a good practice/system for collaborating with others, but being able to keep shared team planning and assessment when staff leave. This is especially important for keeping evidence for teacher registration. Any good ideas welcome....

Katie

The link below is to an instruction slide I made to help staff and students get their work out of Google.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_TdbyfJbFcwpVbl2TehstS9z1I69DD_m4G0adgXT2_c/edit#slide=id.g35f391192_00

• Tim Harper (View all users posts) 28 Apr 2015 9:16am ()

Why not take this a whole stage further?  Why not have one Google domain for all NZ schools?  Then with a decent Identity and Access Management system that would be possible if we have one centralised SMS database (as per other recent MoE initiatives - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rbVq02yLbkmVmg6XmaFvvni978TPTX0NKxtHCJthyO8/edit?usp=sharing - please identify yourself clearly if you want to comment) we could start to enjoy the benefits of consistency?

Some will doubtless argue against it but I think it is time for us to start some real collaboration happening. 

Tim Harper.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 28 Apr 2015 1:10pm ()

Hi Tim,

this is an interesting approach to it; here in QLD I have observed that the state schools are all hooked up to one system and the teacher's as well as the student's email address moves with them between different schools I believe. It would have its advantages though I think in NZ with Tomorrow's Schools and BoTs governing their school, many would struggle with the idea of a single mandated system run by MoE or similar.

I would love to see Google come up with a simpler mechanism that allows the transfer for a GAFE account from one domain to another, e.g. for Y6s going off to Intermediate School or College, for teachers to move schools etc. Wouldn't it be great if the administrator could simply hand over a list of students to the new domain and their content would follow them? In the end it's all 0s and 1s so it shouldn't be impossible? (I should have asked the Google engineers at the GAFE summit...)

Cheers, Monika

Join this group to contribute to discussions.