Search

Resourcing how and why of e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 2015

Kia ora koutou, talofa lava and welcome to this kōrero 6, 2015 on, Resourcing and e-Learning.

Just to set the scene, it is important to have a common understanding of what e-learning is as well as the purpose and potential of e-learning before school leaders commit to resourcing decisions.

E-Learning is defined by Enabling e-Learning as, “learning and teaching that is facilitated by or supported through the appropriate use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Whatever the technology, however, learning is the vital element. e-Learning is not simply associated with modes of delivery or the functionality of a particular technology, but forms part of a conscious choice of the best and most appropriate ways of promoting effective learning.

If, best practice e-learning enables accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities that improve student engagement and achievement”, how might resourcing decisions define processes required to ensure e-learning capacities get the best chance to grow – e.g: establishing priorities across all school resourcing, confirming a process for teacher capacities to grow, confirming processes for inclusion of student voice and community voice and involvement?

Smart tools like the e-Learning Planning Framework (available online) can help schools to support self review about how well ICTs and e-learning are currently being used to support learning, as well as next steps to work towards desired goals so that technologies can be used, “....effectively across the curriculum to connect schools and communities and to provide accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities so that every student is better able to achieve their full potential.”

Image taken from LIVE webinar | Using the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool and analysing your data, 25 March, 2015, Greg Carroll

The key questions for us are:

• Why do New Zealand Schools need to resource “widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

• How do principals lead “resourcing widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

This kōrero is supported by, WEBINAR: Resourcing e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6, Wednesday 10 June, 3.45- 4.45pm. Join us as we discuss the implications of effective e-learning with NAPP participants and invited guests (e-Learning Planning Framework, Connected Learning Advisory). Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

Some resources to kick start this kōrero…

Replies

• Jocelyn Hale (View all users posts) 14 Jun 2015 3:46pm ()

Disappointingly just lost the post I had created...

Anyway it was something like this.  After skim reading the posts to date - it does come back to the first quote - "Begin with the end in mind".

What do Principals want for their students, staff and communities.  What do the staff want, parents want and students want.  What does the graduate profile from your school look like.  eLearning does not stand alone and must fit into the larger school vision and goals.  How should money and time be allocated towards e-Learning?  What benefits are you looking for?  Should devices be compulsory?  There are a thousand questions.  

The solution that is required is one that is personalised to your community and your school.  My son is currently in a Year 9 cohort with a compulsory computer on the stationery list.  Has this improved his learning?  I'm not sure of this but it was more costly to us.  Would we have felt more confident as parents in the school requesting this if we knew they had the end in mind for our son and his future in mind when they created this rule - yes!  are there equity issues? - Yes.  Does this make me uneasy - Yes!  Has this caused unnecessary stress to parents sending their students to college for the first time - Yes!  Has it been worth it - I'm not sure.

I have seen Principals come in to schools and bring the solution they had in their previous school to the new school where there was no fit for the students or the community.  This has been lots of work for those involved and a hotch potch decision.  I think regardless of what you decide to do in a school with eLearning - the clear link to the benefits students will gain (as compared to what things would have been like without them) need to always be out there for everyone to contribute to. Communication is super important.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.