Search

Resourcing how and why of e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 2015

Kia ora koutou, talofa lava and welcome to this kōrero 6, 2015 on, Resourcing and e-Learning.

Just to set the scene, it is important to have a common understanding of what e-learning is as well as the purpose and potential of e-learning before school leaders commit to resourcing decisions.

E-Learning is defined by Enabling e-Learning as, “learning and teaching that is facilitated by or supported through the appropriate use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Whatever the technology, however, learning is the vital element. e-Learning is not simply associated with modes of delivery or the functionality of a particular technology, but forms part of a conscious choice of the best and most appropriate ways of promoting effective learning.

If, best practice e-learning enables accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities that improve student engagement and achievement”, how might resourcing decisions define processes required to ensure e-learning capacities get the best chance to grow – e.g: establishing priorities across all school resourcing, confirming a process for teacher capacities to grow, confirming processes for inclusion of student voice and community voice and involvement?

Smart tools like the e-Learning Planning Framework (available online) can help schools to support self review about how well ICTs and e-learning are currently being used to support learning, as well as next steps to work towards desired goals so that technologies can be used, “....effectively across the curriculum to connect schools and communities and to provide accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities so that every student is better able to achieve their full potential.”

Image taken from LIVE webinar | Using the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool and analysing your data, 25 March, 2015, Greg Carroll

The key questions for us are:

• Why do New Zealand Schools need to resource “widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

• How do principals lead “resourcing widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

This kōrero is supported by, WEBINAR: Resourcing e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6, Wednesday 10 June, 3.45- 4.45pm. Join us as we discuss the implications of effective e-learning with NAPP participants and invited guests (e-Learning Planning Framework, Connected Learning Advisory). Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

Some resources to kick start this kōrero…

Replies

• Helen Newcombe (View all users posts) 24 May 2015 4:15pm ()

For me to consider the how and why of elearning, I first need to clarify for myself the WHAT. It is learning that is supported through the use of ICTs. Not only using ICT to present information, but to allow students to engage with their learning. Providing opportunities for collaboration and transforming the learning environment. Shifting the emphasis from teaching to learning can create a more interactive and engaging learning environment for teachers and learners. (Shyamal Majumdar - Emerging Trends in ICT for Education & Training) This results in changing the roles of the teacher from a transmitter of knowledge to a facilitator of learning, and changing the roles of the students from a reproducer of knowledge to a producer of knowledge.

Elearning is important because it helps to create a learner centered environment. Schools need to ensure all students’ needs are being met and ICT can be used to differentiate learning. It can change the way students and teachers interact and encourage collaboration amongst students. Elearning allows teachers to respond flexibly to the needs of students. “Access, extend, transform and share represent key processes by which students learn and become independent learners and self-starters.” (Majumdar)

The vision for my school is that it will be an inspiring, innovative learning environment. It will provide wide-ranging learning experiences. Elearning is not specifically mentioned as an aspect of this but it fits within the development of the school to meet this vision. Elearning provides the perfect platform for innovative learning environments and a range of learning experiences.

As a school we are setting up the network capabilities to maximise eLearning. BYOD is being trialled and practises are being well utilized in some departments. The school has made a commitment to financially provide modern ICT provisions. At the moment departments are developing their own practises within the classroom, looking at how ICT can be used to encourage greater collaboration and engagement with the content. It is essential to ensure teachers have the opportunities to improve their skills and develop their pedagogy, so professional development is critical. While reflecting on this korero I looked closely at the Elearning Planning Framework. I think it would be particularly useful to go through the phases as a school and identify the next steps for us. Elearning is not directly linked to the current school goals, although it forms aspects of the action plans. At the moment the school has other priorities and targets. I would like to see more emphasis placed on an elearning goal in 2016 as there is a large financial commitment made to building our physical capabilities. There needs to be a shift in teaching practises and pedagogies to make the most of this financial commitment. I would like to see my school in the Emerging and Extending phases by the end of 2016. We have a strong, technically capable teaching staff, good physical resources, and by the end of 2015, a school network capable fully embracing elearning.

• Helen Newcombe (View all users posts) 24 May 2015 4:15pm ()

For me to consider the how and why of elearning, I first need to clarify for myself the WHAT. It is learning that is supported through the use of ICTs. Not only using ICT to present information, but to allow students to engage with their learning. Providing opportunities for collaboration and transforming the learning environment. Shifting the emphasis from teaching to learning can create a more interactive and engaging learning environment for teachers and learners. (Shyamal Majumdar - Emerging Trends in ICT for Education & Training) This results in changing the roles of the teacher from a transmitter of knowledge to a facilitator of learning, and changing the roles of the students from a reproducer of knowledge to a producer of knowledge.

Elearning is important because it helps to create a learner centered environment. Schools need to ensure all students’ needs are being met and ICT can be used to differentiate learning. It can change the way students and teachers interact and encourage collaboration amongst students. Elearning allows teachers to respond flexibly to the needs of students. “Access, extend, transform and share represent key processes by which students learn and become independent learners and self-starters.” (Majumdar)

The vision for my school is that it will be an inspiring, innovative learning environment. It will provide wide-ranging learning experiences. Elearning is not specifically mentioned as an aspect of this but it fits within the development of the school to meet this vision. Elearning provides the perfect platform for innovative learning environments and a range of learning experiences.

As a school we are setting up the network capabilities to maximise eLearning. BYOD is being trialled and practises are being well utilized in some departments. The school has made a commitment to financially provide modern ICT provisions. At the moment departments are developing their own practises within the classroom, looking at how ICT can be used to encourage greater collaboration and engagement with the content. It is essential to ensure teachers have the opportunities to improve their skills and develop their pedagogy, so professional development is critical. While reflecting on this korero I looked closely at the Elearning Planning Framework. I think it would be particularly useful to go through the phases as a school and identify the next steps for us. Elearning is not directly linked to the current school goals, although it forms aspects of the action plans. At the moment the school has other priorities and targets. I would like to see more emphasis placed on an elearning goal in 2016 as there is a large financial commitment made to building our physical capabilities. There needs to be a shift in teaching practises and pedagogies to make the most of this financial commitment. I would like to see my school in the Emerging and Extending phases by the end of 2016. We have a strong, technically capable teaching staff, good physical resources, and by the end of 2015, a school network capable fully embracing elearning.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.