Search

Resourcing how and why of e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 2015

Kia ora koutou, talofa lava and welcome to this kōrero 6, 2015 on, Resourcing and e-Learning.

Just to set the scene, it is important to have a common understanding of what e-learning is as well as the purpose and potential of e-learning before school leaders commit to resourcing decisions.

E-Learning is defined by Enabling e-Learning as, “learning and teaching that is facilitated by or supported through the appropriate use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Whatever the technology, however, learning is the vital element. e-Learning is not simply associated with modes of delivery or the functionality of a particular technology, but forms part of a conscious choice of the best and most appropriate ways of promoting effective learning.

If, best practice e-learning enables accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities that improve student engagement and achievement”, how might resourcing decisions define processes required to ensure e-learning capacities get the best chance to grow – e.g: establishing priorities across all school resourcing, confirming a process for teacher capacities to grow, confirming processes for inclusion of student voice and community voice and involvement?

Smart tools like the e-Learning Planning Framework (available online) can help schools to support self review about how well ICTs and e-learning are currently being used to support learning, as well as next steps to work towards desired goals so that technologies can be used, “....effectively across the curriculum to connect schools and communities and to provide accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities so that every student is better able to achieve their full potential.”

Image taken from LIVE webinar | Using the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool and analysing your data, 25 March, 2015, Greg Carroll

The key questions for us are:

• Why do New Zealand Schools need to resource “widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

• How do principals lead “resourcing widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

This kōrero is supported by, WEBINAR: Resourcing e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6, Wednesday 10 June, 3.45- 4.45pm. Join us as we discuss the implications of effective e-learning with NAPP participants and invited guests (e-Learning Planning Framework, Connected Learning Advisory). Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

Some resources to kick start this kōrero…

Replies

• Stephen Grady (View all users posts) 28 Apr 2015 12:15pm ()

A key point in the article for me (thanks for sharing!) is the 'Start with an end in mind'.  Discussing what we want a digitally connected life long learner to exhibit (vision for our learners) when they leave our school seems a good place to start. I also like the idea of involving the kids in these discussions. As part of this I can see the importance, for my school, of forging closer links with the junior high and intermediate schools where our kids go...finding out what are they like as learners in their contexts, do they have the skills required as a base line for continuing growth? Are they independent in their learning to the level required to make further growth.

You also highlight for me the importance of nuts and bolts...how can we going to share student learning, how it could change current systems at a school both educational systems and practices, as well as infrastructure such as LMS etc, how use of tools is controlled (including BYOD or not) and importantly and perhaps most difficult is building teacher confidence, knowledge and changing the structures that may inhibit the growth of different styles of student led learning. Another key here is community buy in and communicating changes to ALL stakeholders, eg reasons for sharing of things on line and how it can be done safely.

It can be easy to make vision statements, but the overriding impression from the article and from being at a school early in this journey is the plan is key, lining up vision with current school practices and how the current practices may need shifting. Then ensuring the strategic decisions around resourcing, targeted professional development and infrastructure are lining up with these give a better chance of success than the idea that the school down the road has i-pads, so we need some!  Having a sense of urgency is important, but just as important is not jumping in, without the strategic planning and  long term vision for learning, as this will lead to problems.

• Stephen Grady (View all users posts) 18 May 2015 1:04pm ()

An interesting article Aaron. Thanks for sharing! Some interesting points around first and second generation thinking...I'm not sure we are past those completely yet, I hope we are seeing less and less of these types of thinking. For the internet ready computers Dede talked about, I read as Ipads, tablets and chromebooks, as well as BYOD policies! You make a great point about similarities to today still!

The VLN is a great learning tool. Great to be learning with NAPP 2015 participants and getting the expertise of experienced principals and leaders!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.