Search

Resourcing how and why of e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 2015

Kia ora koutou, talofa lava and welcome to this kōrero 6, 2015 on, Resourcing and e-Learning.

Just to set the scene, it is important to have a common understanding of what e-learning is as well as the purpose and potential of e-learning before school leaders commit to resourcing decisions.

E-Learning is defined by Enabling e-Learning as, “learning and teaching that is facilitated by or supported through the appropriate use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Whatever the technology, however, learning is the vital element. e-Learning is not simply associated with modes of delivery or the functionality of a particular technology, but forms part of a conscious choice of the best and most appropriate ways of promoting effective learning.

If, best practice e-learning enables accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities that improve student engagement and achievement”, how might resourcing decisions define processes required to ensure e-learning capacities get the best chance to grow – e.g: establishing priorities across all school resourcing, confirming a process for teacher capacities to grow, confirming processes for inclusion of student voice and community voice and involvement?

Smart tools like the e-Learning Planning Framework (available online) can help schools to support self review about how well ICTs and e-learning are currently being used to support learning, as well as next steps to work towards desired goals so that technologies can be used, “....effectively across the curriculum to connect schools and communities and to provide accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities so that every student is better able to achieve their full potential.”

Image taken from LIVE webinar | Using the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool and analysing your data, 25 March, 2015, Greg Carroll

The key questions for us are:

• Why do New Zealand Schools need to resource “widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

• How do principals lead “resourcing widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

This kōrero is supported by, WEBINAR: Resourcing e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6, Wednesday 10 June, 3.45- 4.45pm. Join us as we discuss the implications of effective e-learning with NAPP participants and invited guests (e-Learning Planning Framework, Connected Learning Advisory). Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

Some resources to kick start this kōrero…

Replies

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2015 10:59am ()

Suzanne,

Thank you for sharing your journey and reflection on what you have found works in e-learning strategic planning and professional development.  As a school we are about to embark on PD around Google Docs.  I like your idea of joining with other schools for training and  differentiating learning as different staff members are definitely in different spaces regarding e-learning. 

I also enjoyed reading your post above. It is helpful to see a clear focus guiding your school in resourcing decisions, i.e.  "focus resourcing areas that allowed for collaborative learning, flexibility and anytime, anywhere capability".

Thanks for these ideas.

Kaye

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2015 11:15am ()

Hi Damien 

Thanks for your reflection.  I think your idea of not leaving a pile of resources and hoping to build from them without direct applies to more than e-learning but PD generally- To really get the pedagogy behind things is important.

Kia ora

Kaye

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2015 11:29am ()

Hi All

Thank you for you thought,

I have been thinking about coming back to the purpose and pedagogy of e-learning

Clearly “ Learning with digital technologies helps equip children and students with the range of skills they need to participate in a modern, future-focused economy. Digital technologies also have the potential to make the current education system more cost effective and accessible” retrieved from http://www.minedu.govt.nz/theMinistry/PublicationsAndResources/StatementOfIntent/SOI2014/StrategicIntentions/CreateAMoreModernLearningEnvironment.aspx

E-learning has the potential to change the face of education as we know it. While it may have started we are not there yet. I have enjoyed listening to Stephen Heppell’s videos  (Schools of the Future by Stephen Heppell)   and hearing ideas about how future education could look.   (Please note this is education in the broad sense and not just schooling.)

I watched a video (not on our list) he put together on small schools.  This was very interesting and captured my imagination. His definition of an ideal school size  was 4-150 students. Heppell did not recommend ever going over 300 – because the community feel a school should have is lost and he claimed research showed students can be damaged by this.  (This is interesting in light of the NZ governments desire to create schools of 250 by merging smaller schools.)

A future focus is concerned with creating communities of learners.  Communities are typically not made up of people the same age. E-Learning enables connections globally.  Small schools do not inhibit connections. Heppell pictures schools as hubs for the community – becoming the heart of communities again and being places where people connect.  Student voice is strongly encouraged and learning is student centred. The internet is linked to unlimited resources making the tailoring of learning tasks a viable reality for the teacher. Teachers are seen as facilitators –roving and supporting, guiding, setting up discussions and learning focuses, inviting participation in activity etc. -  rather than the sage on the stage.  Heppell sees the need to reflect what is happening in the internet within school architecture.  He talks of the internet having only three walls- connections are not limited- and therefore buildings should also offer multiple ways of connecting and working.  This is paralleled to some extent with the New Zealand’s Governments policy direction for Modern Learning environments.

Tessa I agree helping teachers and leaders evolve and grow in ideas, knowledge and wisdom as well as technology skill is key to making new things happen.  As teaching is very complex and is based on so many assumptions it takes time to change need to unravel misplaced preconceptions some of the old to recreate  new visions and ideas of the future.

Kia ora 
    Kaye 

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 01 Jun 2015 11:33am ()

Further to the above - I enjoyed the way Steph Happell looks at how students can influence what modern learning environments look like.

Heppell gives a wonderful example of how student voice can be heard and responded to.  He talked about how for years students have drawn over desks walls etc.  and this has been frowned upon.  Students bought forward the idea of turning desktops and all walls into whiteboard surfaces so they can legitimately express themselves by making their mark.  Photos can capture images and surfaces be reused.  Whether this idea rocks your socks or not I think this is an excellent example of the power of student voice.

Kaye

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 17 Jul 2015 5:19pm ()

I like the simplicity of your new statement.

Sometimes it is the simple things in life that can serve us best.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.