Search

Resourcing how and why of e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 2015

Kia ora koutou, talofa lava and welcome to this kōrero 6, 2015 on, Resourcing and e-Learning.

Just to set the scene, it is important to have a common understanding of what e-learning is as well as the purpose and potential of e-learning before school leaders commit to resourcing decisions.

E-Learning is defined by Enabling e-Learning as, “learning and teaching that is facilitated by or supported through the appropriate use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Whatever the technology, however, learning is the vital element. e-Learning is not simply associated with modes of delivery or the functionality of a particular technology, but forms part of a conscious choice of the best and most appropriate ways of promoting effective learning.

If, best practice e-learning enables accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities that improve student engagement and achievement”, how might resourcing decisions define processes required to ensure e-learning capacities get the best chance to grow – e.g: establishing priorities across all school resourcing, confirming a process for teacher capacities to grow, confirming processes for inclusion of student voice and community voice and involvement?

Smart tools like the e-Learning Planning Framework (available online) can help schools to support self review about how well ICTs and e-learning are currently being used to support learning, as well as next steps to work towards desired goals so that technologies can be used, “....effectively across the curriculum to connect schools and communities and to provide accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities so that every student is better able to achieve their full potential.”

Image taken from LIVE webinar | Using the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool and analysing your data, 25 March, 2015, Greg Carroll

The key questions for us are:

• Why do New Zealand Schools need to resource “widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

• How do principals lead “resourcing widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

This kōrero is supported by, WEBINAR: Resourcing e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6, Wednesday 10 June, 3.45- 4.45pm. Join us as we discuss the implications of effective e-learning with NAPP participants and invited guests (e-Learning Planning Framework, Connected Learning Advisory). Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

Some resources to kick start this kōrero…

Replies

• Judy Richards (View all users posts) 13 Jun 2015 5:04pm ()

Thank you for all the excellent resources available to support this Korero.  The digital presentations have been easy to access and informative.

I personally feel much more confident in our schools vision and strategic plan development.  If as a school leader; I value these 4 aspects then I am making progress towards embedding an e learning culture and developing learners to have success in our ever changing digital world.

1.Clear shared Vision and learning

What are the needs of our students? It needs to be focused on student achievement and an expectation is that it is a commitment to increase engagement that it is bedded into their learning.

It’s not about throwing the baby out with the bath water- but perhaps we need to look at eLearning as ‘change needs to be building on the new’- Socrates

As a leader, staff must be involved in the process- the vision and the decision making and the strategic plan and time given to share practices that are working well.  A decision making team- rather than just one person making the decisions or feeding to staff.

I enjoyed the clarity of the 7 principals of learning and how I need to show in my strategic planning that it will it benefit the student and teachers

2.Appropriate Device

We need to enable learning to take place supported by the appropriate use of technology.  The use can be on line- or off line- but it has to be appropriate and increase engagement and decision.  What do we actually want to use these things for.  What is the target we want?

In terms of the device- tools – what is the most appropriate, relevant and allow for a high level of learning and engagement.  We need to know what we want the device to do and what we want the students to gain from them.  We need skilled thinkers, to process and synthesise information.

What can our kids access/afford- survey to community- what access they have and already have.  

Decision making: Not cheap so need to be done well and be able to be sustained and maintained. All maintenance is driven by learning needs.  What will it look like- feel like- in the classroom.

3.Learning as learners- we are not the experts

Cyber safety- Jon Parsens has visited us, our parents and our school community- once we are up and running- we need to get him back!

What are we going to do now? - What is our action plan in terms of PD.  Let’s find out what others have been using and if that will fit the needs of our learners and our visions.

Think of everyone as a learner.  What are the needs of my teachers- what are their next steps- same as for our students.  The part in the webinar when it was stated ‘Let’s start where you are- not where we are going to start’ is essential.  E learning is so vast it is important to be efficient with PD and not to teach people to suck eggs!

4.Stakeholders

How do we prove to the BOT that it is really working? A lot of people can’t visualise it. We need to inform the key stakeholders- as to what it looks like in real terms.

It will be a fabulous tool to Increase the home school partnerships.

I think it is essential to Streamline our goals so that we know what we really want- how eLearning supports that.  We need the board to appreciate and support that It is integral to positive achievement- not just an add on. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.