Search

Resourcing how and why of e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 2015

Kia ora koutou, talofa lava and welcome to this kōrero 6, 2015 on, Resourcing and e-Learning.

Just to set the scene, it is important to have a common understanding of what e-learning is as well as the purpose and potential of e-learning before school leaders commit to resourcing decisions.

E-Learning is defined by Enabling e-Learning as, “learning and teaching that is facilitated by or supported through the appropriate use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Whatever the technology, however, learning is the vital element. e-Learning is not simply associated with modes of delivery or the functionality of a particular technology, but forms part of a conscious choice of the best and most appropriate ways of promoting effective learning.

If, best practice e-learning enables accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities that improve student engagement and achievement”, how might resourcing decisions define processes required to ensure e-learning capacities get the best chance to grow – e.g: establishing priorities across all school resourcing, confirming a process for teacher capacities to grow, confirming processes for inclusion of student voice and community voice and involvement?

Smart tools like the e-Learning Planning Framework (available online) can help schools to support self review about how well ICTs and e-learning are currently being used to support learning, as well as next steps to work towards desired goals so that technologies can be used, “....effectively across the curriculum to connect schools and communities and to provide accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities so that every student is better able to achieve their full potential.”

Image taken from LIVE webinar | Using the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool and analysing your data, 25 March, 2015, Greg Carroll

The key questions for us are:

• Why do New Zealand Schools need to resource “widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

• How do principals lead “resourcing widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

This kōrero is supported by, WEBINAR: Resourcing e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6, Wednesday 10 June, 3.45- 4.45pm. Join us as we discuss the implications of effective e-learning with NAPP participants and invited guests (e-Learning Planning Framework, Connected Learning Advisory). Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

Some resources to kick start this kōrero…

Replies

• Jimso (View all users posts) 16 Jul 2015 9:53am ()

NAPP 2015 - Korero 6

Why do New Zealand Schools need to resource “widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

How do principals lead “resourcing widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

Don’t need to, but have to. To introduce devices or eLearning capacities, you have to have elearning tools, however what is it you are bringing in to school to match the capacities that you want to develop and what process of review are using to inform what the need is? Do we need to resource widely and wisely? We have to now, because that’s the way we are going. You have to be wise about it because it is absolutely expensive. For example if you don’t have a strong infrastructure, there is no point setting up your wireless devices and the such if you don’t have the infrastructure to handle it.

As part of your strategic goals, you as the principal, would have set the direction, for example, "we are going to make a 3 year plan for ICT and this is what it’s going to look like, and this is the cost" i.e., – all is done and priorities are set via an action plan. You have to strategically think what kind of PLD will be rolled out to build those eLearning capacities that have been identified through your review process.

It’s quite a competitive rhetoric now, and schools have to be up with the play, but there is something unfair about how this is being rolled out. Some schools can’t get up with the play because they simply don’t have the money

I think that I'm being wise in that it’s not our major focus - writing is our major focus, but eLearning parallels that focus. Through TAI, how are teachers applying eLearning principals or using eLearning tools which bring about better student learning outcomes, how are they tracking this? How do they know? In what ways are we utlising eLearning so that we are not merely substituting the way we teach with technology, rather, we are transforming the  ways our kids are learning and how they access learning?

• Kate Webster (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2015 11:42pm ()

James, I agree with your points and questions.  We have also been focusing on developing our writing practice and like you, I believe that devices should be considered a tool for learning and effective pedagogy underpins how much they enhance teaching and learning.  For children to be able to communicate effectively online, they need to understand how author's craft their writing for a particular purpose.  Using tools to enhance teaching and learning, rather then just replace pen and paper has been a focus for us.  We believe in the 3 C's (Create, Communicate and Collaborate), while still focusing on quality literacy skills.  Lately I have also become interested in teaching critical literacy skills, because we need to empower our learners to be discerning users of online material.  Dr Susan Sandretto's research around critical literacy skills is still very relevant today when applied to online text and media.  I think we will continue to ponder how "we are transforming the ways our kids are learning and how they access learning?" as we continue on this E-learning journey.

• Rachel Johnston (View all users posts) 17 Jul 2015 1:06pm ()

Our school went about our vision process a couple of years ago. We had full staff meetings on what e-learning meant to us and what we wanted our children to leave our school knowing. We then came up with a vision: 

IT should enable us to…

• Achieve equity of access to differentiated and engaging learning programmes and resources within a global community.
    • Empower 21st century learners to collaborate and communicate effectively within an e-learning environment. 
    • Provide efficient feedback about evidence of learning through the development of ASPIRE & skills within the Raroa Curriculum.

We used every buzz word we could find and thought we had done an awesome job until we were at a conference and someone asks the team what our vision was and none of us could answer. We decided then that we needed to change our vision. We went back to the staff and had this conversation with them and no one there could remember the vision either so we set about making it shorter and more memorable, but still holding up what we believed in. 

This is what we came up with: 

Our vision is to use IT to enhance teaching and learning opportunities and prepare students for their future today

This is now the focus of e-learning at our school. Ensuring that students are getting this delivered to them has been a focus of PD and coaching. 

• Kaye Gillies (View all users posts) 17 Jul 2015 5:19pm ()

I like the simplicity of your new statement.

Sometimes it is the simple things in life that can serve us best.

• Pamela Abercrombie (View all users posts) 19 Jul 2015 6:12pm ()

Hi Claire,

The section of your article about ‘helping teachers evolve’ really stuck a chord with me. I really appreciate the way you have broken down the needs of the learner – this allows us to really consider these things and make sure that we are deliberate in the way we use e-learning to benefit the learner.

This year, our school has had a group of our teachers working with a range of devices (one device to 2 or 3 students) and the collaboration that is happening as a result of this has been really inspiring. This collaboration is happening in conjunction with our use of the Teaching as Inquiry model, and this has proved to be powerful learning for all involved. I guess that the pace with which our world is changing and also the pace at which the technology available is continuing to evolve can mean that schools in their need to enable e-learning can be tempted to also move at a pace which may not be conducive to effective learning (for teachers and learners).  What I appreciate about the way we are evolving at our school is that time is being given for teachers to learn about the use of the technology alongside the students, and also for us to have the time to consider and reflect on the impact of our use of technology on engagement and achievement. There is just so much available out there and the challenge is to always keep in mind the rationale behind the use of technology. We are also finding that as a result of our heightened use of technology in our classrooms, our community is becoming more aware of and involved in what is actually going on for their learners inside the school gates.

We are living in exciting, ever-changing times and it is crucial that our students develop the skills they will need to succeed.

• Kristie Thomas (View all users posts) 23 Jul 2015 11:55am ()

This is a very interesting Korero to follow. Thank you to those who have posted links to resources etc.In regards to Principals leading resourcing 'widely and wisely' I had the following thoughts:

• Young learners are exposed to a wide range of technologies, often prior to starting school. Using a blended e-learning approach, these learners will be engaged in their learning and their learning will be enhanced, if they are used strategically.
    • ‘Resourcing’ includes ensuring that devices and the required infrastructure is kept up to date, and also that the teachers are up-skilled in order to be able to use these tools effectively within teaching and learning programmes.
    • Other considerations are cost and staffing capacity (professional knowledge and understanding), along with the schools demographic.  
    • Principals need to identify their current situation and develop an action plan in order to implement a robust and reliable ICT framework. This action plan needs to show that all of these areas have been considered for that particular schools context.  It is important that action plans and frameworks reflect the needs of all akonga, the school and its community. 
  • Haylee Webber (View all users posts) 24 Jul 2015 10:33am ()

Resourcing how and why of e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 2015

Morena Koutou

I enjoyed reading your Interface commentary Claire Amos :)  I particularly liked the patai "How will you ensure you don’t limit that vision to your own level of confidence, comfort and expertise around ICTs? "  AND is it the confidence levels of "digital immigrants" that show reluctance in embracing any new technological method.  

Fox (2001) in the article "Teaching online...reluctantly" suggests that the introduction of new technology maybe seen as a threat to age old beliefs since past experiences cannot be relied upon and there are now new rules...wow there certainly are new rules and new ways of teaching and learning and if you fall into this category of a digital immigrant then perhaps it is time for some (not all) educators to transform their teaching styles to be more responsive to the characteristics of an online environment (Berge, 2000).  

As mentioned by Claire a clear vision and strategic plan will pave the way to laying foundations for teachers to evolve.  When we undertook the Blended Elearning initiative through CORE Education we certainly had to lay some building blocks i.e. PD around digital citizenship, digital technologies rules and guidelines, revisiting and reviewing our current policy, teaching through inquiry  etc  Google doc's was the way forward for our school and 2 years on we are ALL embracing the collaborative facets of online learning, teaching and assessing - but the biggest difference for me as SENCO is that we have an online Priority Learner Register where teachers can link assessments, IEP's, where to next steps etc, for that student and this information can be 'shared' with the next teacher.  Kia Kaha tonu Koutou!

• Piata Allen (View all users posts) 24 Jul 2015 1:39pm ()

Kia Ora Koutou,

So many options and they are changing all the time....A colleague of mine, Mark Dashper, introduced the concept of 'desire lines' at our kura when we were exploring the e-learning options for our reo programmes. It is a concept from architecture where the pathways around a structure are not planned. The architect waits for people to create pathways to and from the structure, once these are evident in the land, permanent pathways are created. The image below illustrates the importance of this reasoning. If we fix our path too early it may not serve the people it was intended too.  

Desire Lines

He used this as a metaphor for incorporating technology into teaching. He cautioned us not to make firm decisions early on (those that could not be undone). In other words we were not to lay any concrete ideas down until we had observed the behaviours of our students, teachers and whanau when it comes to technology for learning. Once we got an idea of how we worked naturally then we could start purposefully procuring infrastructure, hardware and software. In my experience it can be really hard to back track once you have made significant investment and technology is outdated so quickly. No-one wants to be constantly battling staff and students to 'use the resources we paid heaps of money for'.

I would be cautious of any major investment in hardware or infrastructure that may not be 'used' very well or very much. The outcome of this observation morphed into a 'user generated' model of a 'flipped-classrom' students create learning objects for reflection, whānau, revision, peer-review and assessment. These are stored in an online catalogue. Teachers provide guidance and feedback/feedforward and students build portfolios of their learning. This process not only develops content knowledge but justification skills, communication skills and the ability to critically analyse the work of others. 

• Sherilyn Hall (View all users posts) 29 Jul 2015 2:56pm ()

I too have read an article about 'desire lines', Piata, and the picture you put on your post is such a clear example of how not to do it.  We do tend to take the shortest route possible to get to our destination, and i have seen this happen with the kids in my class since the introduction of Chromebooks last year.  They use these tools so intuitively, that they have taught me more about shortcuts and the effective use of various apps than I have taught them, as they simply 'play' to find out what works. There are a few who hold back, but the percentage is much lower than can be seen in the adult learners (staff members) in the school.

I agree that we need a plan, we need resourcing, we need PD, and we need courage to make the transition, but I also believe that a lot of the expertise we need is right in front of us.  Follow the paths the kids make, and we will be well on our way to where we need to go in terms of using these tools to their best advantage.

In terms of timelines and plans, it seems to me that the elearnign planning framework (http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/e-Learning-Planning-Framework) is a good place to start, as it sets out the process in a clear and succinct way. Where are we at on the framework?  It's a question worth thinking about and looking at what the next steps are, not as the be-all and end-all, simply as a tool to help us make the transition well.  It's time we stopped trying to catch up with the rest of the world and started taking a lead...

• Maxineluff (View all users posts) 03 Aug 2015 8:24am ()

I agree totally that teachers need to model - Sadly our system/wireless/server is not yet robust and to be honest it has put staff off as they are met by continuing IT issues.

It is very frustrating for all!  I was trained as a teacher, sadly I am not a techno and not young, so finding that I am being overwhelmed with techo stuff that is way out of my league.  How do other schools cope with this?

The actual use of devices and e-Learning would be easier if we had a robust system...

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 05 Aug 2015 11:25am ()

Thought this group might be interested in the following:

smiley WEBINAR: e-Learning leadership, what does it take?​ 26 August, 3.45-4.45pm

Future-focused schools acknowledge the important role of technologies as we prepare our students for a world beyond school. What does it take to be an e-leader in a future-focused educational secondary environment? What needs to be taken into consideration when resourcing and supporting all learners within and beyond the school? How can we help each other, as e-leaders to support the work we do in school? Come join Richard McLaren (Assistant Principal, Shirley Boy’s High School, Christchurch) as he shares his experiences of e-leadership in a secondary school. 

Audience: Secondary teachers, leaders, e-leaders interested in e-leadership in a secondary context. This webinar will be supported with thread in the Enabling e-Learning Leadership group. Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.