Search

Resourcing how and why of e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6 2015

Kia ora koutou, talofa lava and welcome to this kōrero 6, 2015 on, Resourcing and e-Learning.

Just to set the scene, it is important to have a common understanding of what e-learning is as well as the purpose and potential of e-learning before school leaders commit to resourcing decisions.

E-Learning is defined by Enabling e-Learning as, “learning and teaching that is facilitated by or supported through the appropriate use of information and communication technologies (ICTs). Whatever the technology, however, learning is the vital element. e-Learning is not simply associated with modes of delivery or the functionality of a particular technology, but forms part of a conscious choice of the best and most appropriate ways of promoting effective learning.

If, best practice e-learning enables accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities that improve student engagement and achievement”, how might resourcing decisions define processes required to ensure e-learning capacities get the best chance to grow – e.g: establishing priorities across all school resourcing, confirming a process for teacher capacities to grow, confirming processes for inclusion of student voice and community voice and involvement?

Smart tools like the e-Learning Planning Framework (available online) can help schools to support self review about how well ICTs and e-learning are currently being used to support learning, as well as next steps to work towards desired goals so that technologies can be used, “....effectively across the curriculum to connect schools and communities and to provide accessible, relevant, and high-quality learning opportunities so that every student is better able to achieve their full potential.”

Image taken from LIVE webinar | Using the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool and analysing your data, 25 March, 2015, Greg Carroll

The key questions for us are:

• Why do New Zealand Schools need to resource “widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

• How do principals lead “resourcing widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

This kōrero is supported by, WEBINAR: Resourcing e-Learning | NAPP Kōrero 6, Wednesday 10 June, 3.45- 4.45pm. Join us as we discuss the implications of effective e-learning with NAPP participants and invited guests (e-Learning Planning Framework, Connected Learning Advisory). Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

Some resources to kick start this kōrero…

Replies

• Norrie Mailer (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2015 11:38am ()

HI All,

I've been very interested to read the feedback and where everyone finds themselves on their and their school's 'digital' or 'e-' journey. 

As a professional working with these questions and scenarios every day with schools, there are many components that make up and need to be taken into account while developing a course of action/practice. Any strategy, vision or implementation should have at its core the integration of the technologies across the pedagogical structure aiming for a measurable outcome. That outcome can mean different things to different students, groups, classes or schools. Ultimately however, the 'shift' is as much, if not more, about the shift in perceptions of technological use by the users (teachers, students, management and BoT) rather than simply integrating a new 'tool' or strategy into the educational mix.

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 15 Jun 2015 11:56am ()

Kia ora koutou

What great discussion going on in this thread!

Connected Learning Advisory logoI want to highlight again the Connected Learning Advisory - Te Ara Whītiki who can support schools on this very topic of Resourcing e-Learning - looking at both the how and the why.

The advisory allows schools and kura to contact advisors by phone or online for consistent, unbiased advice on integrating technology with learning so they can get the best results for their students and communities.

Find out more about the Connected Learning Advisory by downloading the following PDF brochures or visiting the website:

Māori Medium - Te Ara Whītiki

English Medium - Connected Learning Advisory

You can also follow the Connected Learning Advisory by:

• Linda Sweeny (View all users posts) 18 Jun 2015 10:02am ()

Initially we discussed as a staff how the tools and technology would be used in classrooms to support the teaching and learning of all students.  Staff had been on separate Apple Bus Tours and had aspirations for what they wanted to be able to expose their students to in their own classroom.  Senior students had individual blogs to share their portfolio samples, also class teachers used class blogs to share student learning.  In our early days the students were timetabled in to use a limited number of Apple Mac desktops or laptops to add posts.  We experimented by giving class teachers an iPad to use.  We then increased the number of iPads in classes as these were used more, especially as it was easier and faster to add learning to blogs.  Teachers found that the iPads were a good tool for the student to layer apps that they were using to create presentations of learning and add to their blogs.  Students also find that they are able to use the iPads for Apps to support learning as well as Google Apps to share and collaborate what they are producing.

It is important for us as a school to be equipped with the tools that our students require to be effective digital citizens.  We want them to be able to evolve with the technology and understand how to use it to support their current and future learning.  Our BoT encourages applications to charities to purchase devices and budget wisely to ensure that we are able to keep our technology up to date and plan to replace out dated technology when needed.  The vision is shared and driven through our strategic planning.

• Tracey Hopkins (View all users posts) 18 Jun 2015 10:36pm ()

I missed the online webinar but managed to listen to most of it. Being at a school with a 1:1 iPad programme it was really beneficial to hear a range of viewpoints that were all relevant.

The thing that I took away from it was that elearning has to fit the criteria of any new innovation or change.  There is no real difference from any other aspect of learning. Any change needs sound strategic planning and vision. That strategic planning needs to ensure that any decisions made are driven by learner needs and not just purchasing product. What are the things we are wanting to see and then start resourcing for that. This is the same for ILE – there has to be strong pedagogy behind these, it is not about buying product or furniture or having a big space – it is about how the teachers are going to deliver quality teaching.

The other thing I took from the discussion – was to put a ‘digital lense on things’. Think of what you are currently doing and view it from a digital perspective – what things will be different, what will need to change? I also loved the self reflective questions bringing in all the layers of a school:

• The whole school is a learning environment – what do we want our community to be doing?
    • What will I see your learners doing?  What do I want to see the staff doing? These are great questions to keep in mind for any new change. It keeps things grounded and true to the vision and purpose.
  • Bridget McDowall (View all users posts) 20 Jun 2015 6:07pm ()

You have made some excellent point here. I agree that the technology is constantly changing and evolving and we need to keep this in mind when purchasing new devices. We are currently in the process of introducing leased Chromebooks to our school and it has been an exciting journey so far, but not without problems. I am in the process of trialing the Chromebooks in a Year 5/6 class and am problem solving as I go along in the hopes that when this new technology is introduced to the rest of the staff that they will be as excited about it as I am and be able to introduce to their classes with as few problems as possible.

Next term I will take staff professional development on how these devices can be successfully implemented into the classroom to enhance learning. I am amazed everyday with how engaged the students are with this technology and how all learners can access it successfully. 

I am hoping that in the future we will be able to create a success and useful home-school partnership  and would be interested to hear more about your journey and how you are approaching this as a school.

• Mary Kaye (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2015 12:40pm ()

Thanks for the korero Claire, 

The process for implementing a strategic plan for implementing e-Learning is awesome!

I have taken notes and made bullet points of the key ideas you have mentioned for future reference. I will also use the information to share with my current principal to help our school along our journey.

• Stephen Wood (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2015 8:25am ()

We are somewhat still behind the times here on the West Coast and tend to move slowly. Change tends to be a thing that teachers avoid (but), generally our learners embrace it. We are lucky enough however to be able to ride on the coattails of Russell Burt, et al, with the Manaiakalani Outreach Program. This is Coast Wide. Next year is going to be an exciting time, as each school rolls out the Learn, Create, Share philosophy. Each school will have a freedom to interpret what this means their way (obviously) as we don't want to be clones of each other, and our (very) different school contexts won't allow for it. 

I hope that as we move forward, we continue to build on the collaboration that has started between schools. As we notice things that are working for particular cohorts of our learners, and their whanau, that we share those, rather thsan keep them 'in-house" as in previous years. I think that the changing times allow us to consider, not just those learners in our class, or school, but those in the school down the road. 

• Candis Wood (View all users posts) 09 Jul 2015 10:57pm ()

Great to start this discussion with the definition of e-learning. Although I have been harping on about this within my own teaching team when leading the implementation of Chrome books, it will be good to use this to support what I am saying and why I am saying it.

Thank you to all who have posted comments on this forum. I have valued reading what everyone has had to say with implementing e-learning technologies into their schools and the processes they have followed in doing so. I particularly want to thank those whom have provided valuable sources to explore further. These have given myself some direction to follow to inquire more into implementing and supporting teachers and students with their e-learning journey.

Such sources I will endeavor to inquire into as I continue on my leadership journey to implement 1:1 Chrome books within our senior syndicate of five classes with emphasis on these tools being used to further support our students learning needs are;

For myself, someone who was thrown into the deep end with leading in an area that I would not consider to be of my expertise, this forum has most significantly provided myself with lots of points to consider and raise with my staff.   The biggest factors I have taken from my reading of these posts is that it is important to start with a vision-what are the skills that we want our students leaving our school to have that is going to further support them to become future focused learners having used ICT in their learning?

Alongside this, I have had highlighted how important it is to share the vision/implementation plan with ALL staff while providing staff with opportunity to have their input into the vision and the implementation plan. This is something I am now in the process of doing, as I have pushed to be more involved in putting this together with my teaching team because although I have now been put in charge of leading this with my team some of the behind the scenes information has not been shared with me and after reading these posts I have realised some of the ‘policy’ type work around it has not been completed to the level required.

Once this implementation plan is consolidated with my teaching team, I am aware that implementation of such devices should be consulted with whanau and this is something to which we still need to do as a school to ensure that whanau understand what and how these devices will be used to support their child’s learning from a home perspective.

Another factor which I personally feel is the most important which others have mentioned is the change in teachers’ pedagogies to support the style of learning such tools provide our tamariki. Teachers need to be open to be a learner within their rooms and to receive on going professional development to support this learning to support their students using such devices as learning tools. I like how people suggested working with other schools in ‘opt in workshops’ based on needs of the teacher. This is something I will look into more with our local schools or just adopt within my own school. I am very aware that I need to look at teachers' capabilities and put small steps in place to achieve goals, build sustainability by providing safe environments for teachers to take risks in their e-learning journey, provide opportunities for teachers to see effective e-learning in action and to provide on going support.

However; alongside receiving professional development, I believe teachers need to be open to inquiring into their own understandings of e-learning and such technologies being used in their learning spaces by being open to finding things out for themselves to support their own learning. This so far has been the mind-set I have been pushing with my staff, as some just expect to be given all the learning without being willing to sought to find out knowledge and skills for themselves. A question to others would be-how have you encouraged your staff using ICT tools to inquire into their own practice and knowledge of using such tools to support children’s learning and their own teaching without solely relying on professional development being shared with them?

• Anna Borrer (View all users posts) 14 Jul 2015 9:47pm ()

From what I have read,  observed and experienced,people look at e-learning through a variety of lenses.  E-learning remains a significant financial investment for school communities so it is important that the motivations for implementing e-learning have been explored.  When there is strategic direction for e-learning, I think transformational learning can occur for students.  Principals/schools could find it beneficial to ask themselves and their learning communities a series of questions as part of resourcing widely and wisely.  These are some questions that could be asked (they are certainly ones that we are currently pondering):

-How do we ensure that e-learning is integrated into the school’s Strategic plan in an authentic and meaningful way ie supported by pedagogy that supports current views about knowledge?

-How do we  prioritise,  fund, purchase and maintain the infrastructure so it is a worthwhile investment and meets the overall strategic goals for our students?

-How do we ensure that the Board of Trustees understand the benefits and impact for the students so that resourcing and communication with the wider school community can be planned for?

-How do we educate and communicate with parents about the benefits of e-learning?  Are we also transparent with parents about the challenges and potential pitfalls of e-learning?

-What are the priorities for students?  Will  transformative learning take place with e-learning?  (SAMHR Model- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QOsz4AaZ2k)

-How do we enable teachers to grow their e-learning capabilities?  What technological, pedagogical and content knowledge do teachers need to develop? (TPACK Model-see below)

How do we ensure that we are developing digital citizenship with students?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2015 4:35pm ()

I'm really enjoying all of these practical and theoretical conversations in this thread, as well as the resources shared. Thank you everyone. I'll be clicking on these links for days to come. smiley

The driving elements for discussions around resourcing e-learning are made clear in your post too AnnaB, which also highlights how to involve all the key stakeholders in a collaborative decision making process. 

Sustainability will result from common understandings about how e-learning is funded (supported), implemented and why. 

• DiWilkes (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2015 5:56pm ()

Tessa I have enjoyed the practical and theoretical conversations in this thread and really appreciate the resources that have been shared by our cohort.  

I am fortunate to be a Deputy Principal (Associate Leader of Learning) in a new school which opened in February with 97 learners.  It is an Innovative Learning Environment, currently with over 170 learners.  To attempt to answer the questions of this korero:

• Why do New Zealand Schools need to resource “widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

• How do principals lead “resourcing widely and wisely in growing e-learning capacities”?

I draw on an experience my colleague and I had in preparing a presentation for the Women in Educational Leadership evening at Ormiston Senior College about Leading Future Focused Teaching and Learning.  A big part of our presentation was emphasising how we used the Golden Circle and continue to use this as a method for ensuring that our vision is central to everything we do.  Our aspiration of leading FF T&L in an Innovative Learning Environment with digital technologies featuring in every aspect of what we do required us to disrupt our thinking regarding habits versus requirements.  Before we could think about resourcing for ‘eLearning’ we explored our vision extensively.  

In his Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action Simon Sinek explored his idea of the Golden Circle, what he calls "a naturally occurring pattern, grounded in the biology of human decision making, that explains why we are inspired by some people, leaders, messages and organizations over others. The golden circle should apply when we are leading anything- whether it is a fortune 500 company, book club, girl guides or a shiny new school!  It enables us to hit the bulls eye by starting with the Why.  ---Every single person on the planet knows WHAT they do. Some people know HOW they do WHAT they do-  BUT we often find that very few people can clearly articulate WHY they do what they do. (i.e., WHY do you get out of bed in the morning?).  For us our WHY is our vision.  This was gifted to us by our eBOT and is truly at the heart of what we do- we strive to reach it everyday for all of our learners- including ourselves.  Our vision is central to our belief system- it is why we get out of bed everyday.  It is an aspiration.  It is a challenge and it is referred to constantly for everything from our Professional Learning, to PB4L to daily Teaching & Learning.  Our How- is our actions, our educative purpose, which is to create deliberate learning opportunities AND to develop the capabilities in every learner daily through our Vision Principles- I am: capable, connected, curious and collaborative.  For us the WHAT- is the daily OrmPS approach.  It is the Digital Technologies we employ, the programs we enlist to, the strategies we trial and the language we use.  The collaborative way in which we do this is enhanced by digital technologies and the ever increasing digital literacy of our team - not all were digital ninjas to start with.  

This is our OrmPS golden circle and we endeavour to use it to lead Future Focused teaching and learning.Transformational leadership requires us to embrace change- to be innovative, trial new ways of doing things and to challenge the status quo.  It is not for the faint of heart and requires the realisation that power and influence does not come from being in control.  Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 12.19.11 pm.png

Our mantra has become ‘if there is a better way we will find it’ because in order to be an ILE we must always strive to find better ways- we owe this to our learners.  To be future focused we can’t keep doing everything the way we have always done it.  Yet there is no silver bullet. However, our mantra of finding a better way doesn’t mean we’ve thrown the baby out with the bath water!  We believe in blended learning.  We believe in learning that uses both digital and traditional methods - AND is a big part of our vernacular.  Digital Literacy requires communication and this requires transparency at all levels and a willingness to learn.  At OrmPS we are a Google Apps For Education school.  We use Teacher Dashboard.  We use iPads and apps.  We use Chromebooks and Macs and we support a BYOD option.  Leading learning requires that we embed digital technologies into all areas of our work.  Some examples include:

1. Strategic- our Charter, Strategic & Annual Plan and Vision Principles are all in google docs- our website shares these so they are accessible by the public,

2. Infrastructure- we designed and prioritised a robust infrastructure to enable LwDTs,

3. Professional Learning- our PL is fully digital to enable collaboration and teacher inquiry as all learners and Learning Coaches have and use an ePortfolio which we coined our ‘Learning Pathways’ to record the process, products and reflection of our learning

4. These Learning Pathways along with our school/habitat websites are the DTs we use to cultivate our home-school partnership and

5. We also use a myriad of DTs in our Daily teaching and learning eg. google docs, blogger, popplet, padlet, iMovie and many others

DTs enhance our communication and make us visible. Ultimately, in order to be innovative we must grow our brains!  We must inherently believe that a growth mindset is true for our learners.  To be truly future focused we must explicitly teach our young people to believe that they can #learnanything and provide them with the tools (digital and otherwise) and strategies (digital literacies etc.) for them to learn to fail and fail to learn.  This means that as school leaders we resource widely (avoid limiting the school to a single platform or device or approach) and wisely (be strategic and be transparent) in order to provide multiple opportunities to use multiple digital technologies in diverse and transformational ways that can redefine learning.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.