Search

Care of device

• Public
Started by MeganCroll1 16 Apr 2015 11:06am () Replies (2)

We are about to launch a BYOD pilot programme with 2 Year 5&6 classes and are currently 

A question that a parent has asked is around the transportation of the device to and from school, e.g. leaked water bottle in the school bag.  Apart from providing the device with a good, robust case and putting inside a plastic bag; are schools offering any other advise?  

Parent is also concerned about child forgetting to pack into the bag at the end of the day.    We will have an end of day checklist and have devices in a lockable cupboard when not in use so if the child forgets, then they will be locked for the night.  Is there another strategy?

Thanks for any advise for those who have been down the road before me.

Replies

• Andrew de Wit (View all users posts) 18 Apr 2015 12:43pm ()

Hi,

We have been BYOD for the last 2 1/2 years and so far no problems with either. BYOD is very much student responsibility (good learning I think). Our devices come out at the beginning of the day and go into bags at 3pm. We do have monitors and generally catch those who "forget" but I have locked one or two up for the night  and this seems to cure the problem as they generally want them at home!

I teach year 4 and 5 and it has been a pleasant surprise to see how smoothly everything has gone.

Andrew

Mangaroa School

Join this group to contribute to discussions.