Search

Year 1 Maths Extension

• Public
Started by Angelee Jarrett 08 Apr 2015 11:52am () Replies (5)

I am seeking advice on strategies for extending a student in my class who is working around Stage 5.  He is five years old and incredibly knowledgeable mathematically.  He also uses advanced problem solving strategies and articulates them beautifully.  My hope is that he can work on mathematical investigations that are developmentally appropriate for him.  Any suggestions welcome and thanks in advance.

Replies

• Oscarsranch (View all users posts) 08 Apr 2015 6:56pm ()

Hi 

My son is the same but luckily has a very good reading ability.  There is a great book called Open ended maths it is blue and hS great open ended activities.  Also look at nrich a great maths website for open ended problem solving. If you get the chance our local Maths advisors are running websites for maths lead teachers and we have been looking at rich tasks, maybe your maths lead teacher might also know about this.  I have also collected Knowledge sheets for all of the skills at each stage which he can work on at home to ensure he knows what is coming up next.  Maybe try some Figure it Out activities if his reading is good too

Hope it helps

• Angelee Jarrett (View all users posts) 09 Apr 2015 8:19pm ()

This is very helpful!  Thank you!

The student reads and comprehends well so will check out some of your suggestions.  Will speak to my HOD for mathematics as well.

Thanks again

• Ross Perkinson (View all users posts) 29 Apr 2015 2:32pm ()

Have you checked out Maths-Whizz (whizz.com/ilearn.co.nz) - all students are on individualised programmes after an initial diagnostic so suits GAT as well as remedial

• Vanitha Govini (View all users posts) 29 Apr 2015 7:06pm ()

You could explore nzmaths e-ako which Place value/ basic facts/problem solving and 'Thinking blocks' that helps to model and solve Maths problems. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.