Search

Interactive Whiteboards

• Public
Started by Susan Feron 26 Mar 2015 8:22pm () Replies (5)

Hi out there,

I have a team of teachers who would like to be using interactive whiteboards.  I am aware that lots of schools have stopped using them.  Is there a school in the lower half of the South Is who would consider selling theirs? I am well aware that there are now other technologies that teachers find more useful but would like to start the journey from a place where my team are comfortable and enthusiastic.

Kind regards

Susan Feron

Replies

• Steph Kitto (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2015 9:05pm ()

Hi Susan

I was speaking to a teacher at Poolburn School (Central Otago) and she said they had one sitting in their library not being used.  Perhaps get in contact with the Principal at the school as I think they may be keen to sell it.

Good luck

Steph Kitto

• Dianne Collier (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2015 9:44pm ()

Tuahiwi School may have one large and one portable for sale.  Contact Sue Ross 03 313 8521.

Cheers.  Dianne

• Angela Sime (View all users posts) 30 Apr 2015 10:49am ()

Hi Susan

I am just about to post about a surplus of Mimio boards that we have, that are still in relatively good condition, but we no longer use them in our school.  They are much more lightweight and portable as opposed to the Smartboard or Activboard.  is this something you may be interested in ?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 25 May 2015 1:16pm ()

I also posted in Angela's thread about alternative ways to thinking about smart boards (IE completely rethink where they are mounted) which may interest you too:

I might be on the wrong track, but could the access/set-up in the classroom make the world of difference when using interactive whiteboards? IE: Lower down the wall or flat on a table top surface for collaborative student work (the teachers don't have to use them).

Example only...

The Interactive whiteboards were the precursor to more collaborative, versatile, smaller, mobile technologies - and were often used as demonstrative/modelling tools. They're pretty large, hence rethinking where they're placed (if possible). Wall mounted boards often meant the teachers used these, sometimes with their back to the group/class and shadows thrown from the projector.

If we moved the board (even ceiling mounted projectors), maybe we could re-think:

• Who uses the smartboard 
    • What curriculum goals/learning intentions can be addressed
    • What software will enable goals/learning intentions come to fruition

EG: When planning lesson sequences, consider...

1. Who is being been taught? (individual, group, class, priority learners) 
    2. What are they learning to do…EG: learning intentions (based on prior data gathering) We were learning to…(literacy numeracy etc)
    3. Intended valued outcomes (what they might look like once achieved) We wanted to achieve… 
    4. Planned and delivered interventions How might it look without the teacher…
    5. Appropriate Smartboard software used (how will these impact on the learning?) We used…and this resulted in..
    6. Ways to assess - valued student outcomes (what do these now look like, where can we archive and share these digitally?)
       EXPLORE        |       CREATE      |       COMMUNICATE        |       COLLABORATE
    smiley

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.