Search

Use of digital technology in culturally responsive practice

Started by RosL 25 Mar 2015 11:26am () Replies (9)

I am trying to unpack this phrase from the ELPF in the context of our large secondary school, for my better understanding.  

"In our school digital technologies are embedded in learning and reflect culturally responsive practice."

Can anyone help - some real life examples of this being done well at the engaging or empowering phase would be helpful.  

Thanks
Ros Lee

Otumoetai College

Replies

• Kathe Tawhiwhirangi (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 1:39pm ()

Kia ora Ros

In my mind, this one statement is made up of 3 parts...

• digital technologies - what do your staff consider 'digital technologies'?
    • embedded in learning - what does this look like at your school?
    • culturally responsive practice - is there shared and common understandings as to what this means at your school?

These statements in the eLPF do encourage us to discuss further in our schools what these mean, and look like for us, before we decide at what stage we are at. Currently this aspect is one that we're being inundated with for requests for support. I do not believe that there is one hard and fast answer here - hence my adding to your questions :-) Many schools are realising that culturally responsive practice is an area of need so there is still lots of learning to be had. Documentation  that you may find useful are the MOE's - Tataiako Competencies & Ka Hikitia - to name a couple.

Some considerations may be....

• when we have manuhiri visiting, is it OK to be on our devices?
    • how do we like being treated and are we treating others as well, both offline and online?
    • when someone asks for assistance, is it OK to ignore them?
    • when we're capturing footage (audio, images) have we asked permission to do so?
    • are we assuming that everyone works in the same way?
    • are we honouring all learning styles?

OK, now I'm starting to babble so I will stop.

Feel free to make contact if you'd like to discuss this further. I can think of a couple of schools that it may be useful for you to contact?

Ngā mihi

Join this group to contribute to discussions.