Search

Use of digital technology in culturally responsive practice

Started by RosL 25 Mar 2015 11:26am () Replies (9)

I am trying to unpack this phrase from the ELPF in the context of our large secondary school, for my better understanding.  

"In our school digital technologies are embedded in learning and reflect culturally responsive practice."

Can anyone help - some real life examples of this being done well at the engaging or empowering phase would be helpful.  

Thanks
Ros Lee

Otumoetai College

Replies

• Janelle Riki (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 2:36pm ()

Kia ora Ros,

Thanks for a great post and a chance to discuss this further.  I agree with my colleagues and their suggesstions and would also pose the following questions for further discussion amongst your staff.

• how are our priority learners using the technology in our school?
    • are our Māori and Pasifika learners able to source information and use technology to empower them culturally?
    • Do our students whānau have an understanding of digital citizenship and how they can be supporting this at home?
    • can out whānau access school technology to connect with their child's learning (should there be no access at home)?
    • do our students have the ability to use technology at school in ways that grow their understanding and knowledge of their own culture and that of others?
    • are our teachers offering students choices about what they learn and how they learn?

There are many more I could pose but in short I think the question is asking two things, how responsive is our practice to the 'whole' child (in relation to academically, socially, emotionally and culturally) AND are we using technology to support our responsive practices.

Hope this helps.  Ngā mihi

Join this group to contribute to discussions.