Search

Modelling Books

• Public
Started by Susan Lindsey 22 Mar 2015 9:21pm () Replies (21)

Hi everyone

I have been wondering if we could share our thoughts around using modelling books to share learning intentions in the NE classroom. 

Susan 

Replies

• Pania Smith (View all users posts) 23 Mar 2015 1:07pm ()

Kia ora Susan,

I was wondering about what you were wanting specifically? 

I use modelling books religiously to track what I have taught, to which groups, and also as I scribble all over mine, they provide evidence of work achieved/yet to achieve by each student.

So I usually begin with : We are learning to; and then the children reply after me... for the most part they have no idea what I am talking about. So I record this as a way of measuring their prior knowledge if any. This also supports my end of term assessment/OTJ as I can show that they have made growth of content knowledge.

Would you please clarify your question?

• Susan Lindsey (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 10:09am ()

Hey Pania

My modelling book question was very general because I am interested to find out how teachers are using modelling books in the junior rooms as often the little ones are unable to refer back to them after the lesson. Thanks for your reply, hopefully some others can add to the discussion.

• Tracey Schumacher (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 3:18pm ()

Hi Susan, 

I agree with you about modelling books and students not able to refer back to them by themselves.  It does make it more tricky than at higher levels in the school.  So much in a NE classroom needs to be teacher driven so I make a conscious effort to go back over past learning with students to remind them what we have learnt previously. 

I use my modelling books a lot for maths (at the moment learning about place value in numbers to 10 so is good to revise the 10 + __ concept).  I also use it for writing where I think aloud as I write my stories for them to follow and join in with, as much as they can.  We go over these very quickly at the start of each lesson, then move on. 

I do write the WALT in  my maths book but have it laminated for writing as it is the same at the moment ( learning the basics.....finger spaces, punct etc) and I cant see the point of writing the same thing everyday!!

• Pania Smith (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 5:02pm ()

HI again,

Some junior model book tricks.

I have each child use the same colour marker every day. Any answer they have written (forming letters - whether they can form letters). This proves that they can write the letter of the week before they go and do individual printing. 

Maths modelling books in junior school are the same. Use the same colour markers.

Hope that helps.

• Keryn Wilson (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 8:21pm ()

I use modelling books for writing, reading and maths. I have a class one for writing in which the children and I  scribe a story (most days) at the start of the lesson. The learning intentions are on a separate sheet with each of the (mostly) 3 broken down into success criteria (in a simple way). For reading and maths, I have one for each group. I don't write the learning intention for reading in the book as each child has their own goal tracking sheet for that in front of them that they can refer to, but anything we discuss can be written down and I also write children's names beside any oral contributions they make that may be useful as evidence of learning later. For maths, I record and scribble all sorts of things. I find modelling books great. While my NE don't usually refer back to them, one of my reading groups did today to help with a follow up task so iTunes's it would depend how they are structured. :)

• Karrie Bryce (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 8:30pm ()

Hi Keryn - can I ask what this goal tracking sheet looks like that you use for reading? That sounds great ;) Thanks.

• Keryn Wilson (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 9:54pm ()

Sure... it's one we've developed ourselves according to colour levels magenta - gold. It has simple learning intentions relevant for each stage (e.g: Point to each word as I read). Each goal is written in a hexagon shape (bee theme) and (because we use the ATOL success and improvement/highlighter marking) I highlight in yellow the goal that child is working on. It might be the same as another child or different. We talk about the goal and children articulate them at the start of their instructional reading session. As they demonstrate the goal, I tick in the hexagon. Once they've had success (could be a couple of days or whenever - it's flexible) I colour over the yellow in green showing they've achieved the goal. The kids are classic with their ticks - one wee guy for his goal he was working towards today (find and name full stops and capital letters) told me - "you haven't given me a tick yet!" They love getting the hexagons coloured in. The sheets are on A5 and I store them in the modelling book and pop them on the table in front of them when we read. Once they move onto another colour level, the sheet goes into their learning journal. I also don't cover all goals on every sheet as some children don't need all goals as a focus (e.g: Talk about the pictures in the book).

I like it as it's super easy, personalised and the children do talk about what they are learning. :) K

• Nix (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 8:37pm ()

It's great to see the different way that we are all using modelling books. Mine are used in a similar way to Kerryn's. I'm also interested to see the reading goal tracking sheet if possible please?  Sounds like a great idea.

• Angelee Jarrett (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 8:40pm ()

Thanks for asking that Karrie!  I was about to post the same question.  Would love to get my hands on something like this before I reinvent the wheel.

I am also curious about what a reading modelling looks like?  Is it full of follow up tasks?  Are you able to post a photo or two?  

Also, Keryn, do you have a specific list of Learning Intentions for writing?  I work from several sources but would be keen to see a list with primarily emergent LIs listed.

A few years ago I attempted to go 'paperless' and do away with modelling books but it was a big mistake!  I had everything saved online in my flipcharts because I modeled everything through the interactive whiteboard.  The trouble with this was that the children could not access their prior learning as it was too difficult for them to find.  Printing it out and sticking into books was an option but defeated the purpose of less paper so I am back to books!

Enjoying this thread!

Thanks

Angelee

• Keryn Wilson (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 10:06pm ()

Hi... I do have set learning intentions for writing and last year used them as "pop-ups" in back of the kids writing books. I thought this year I would just store them in the kids writing books as I do the reading goal sheets in the modelling books rather than muck around with trying to attach them, however, because the children tend to carry their books around (showing their work off to parent helpers, putting them away in the box themselves etc) I have found a couple have walked. I may have to attach them somehow. :( 

I use them in the same way as the reading goals - highlight yellow the goal they are working on, articulate before they start, review how they went at the end. Give them some time to work on the goal before it is either achieved or we move on. I find that again, lots of my littlies can talk about what they are trying to work towards which is exciting. 

I'm happy to upload photos if that's helpful (can we do that here?). Ours is not a perfect system I'm sure and it has been developed from looking at lots of different resources etc but if it helps - happy to share. Pointless starting from scratch - much easier to tweak what others have started. :) K

• Camilla (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 8:49pm ()

Hi All, 

I enjoy using our modelling books in reading the most. I make them as visual as possible and yesterday I started using QR codes in mine for the first time this year with NEs to make them accessible to 'non-readers'/early readers.

Modelling books

We were working on identifying sounds of letters and some children are still unsure of the letter name and/or sound. So I popped my laptop in the middle of the group as we practiced words we knew with that sound. We made a recording, we (meaning me acting as scribe) also wrote the words, and then I glued the QR code in the book. Today we reviewed it by scanning the code and the children were pretty stoked to hear their own voices. I think this is something that they will be able to increasingly manage themselves. I used QR codes quite a lot last year with NE's, but never thought to use them in the modelling books. 

QR codes in modelling books

• Tracey Matthews (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 9:29pm ()

I love this idea.  I am just getting into using QR Codes and was wondering where you do your recordings and how do you store them for access with the QR Code?

Thanks

Tracey

• Camilla (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 9:49pm ()

Hi Tracey, 

I've used a couple of methods, as I thought my first tried and tested option wasn't working anymore, but that could be more to do with our N4L cutover...

So one option is:

Go to below website to record your audio 

http://www.recordmp3.org/

Then copy the url into the QR code generator:

http://www.qrstuff.com/

The benefit of this option is the children do not have to press play to listen to the scanned QR code (which can be an extra step that is just too hard for little ones) and it just plays by itself. I save the QR cides into my iPhoto and label them if I will reuse them. 

My second option was at:

http://vocaroo.com/

Here you can record and create the QR code all in one spot. You do have to teach the children to press the triangle button to hear the recording though.

QR codes are good for our NE's, but also good for our older student who are struggling with reading/processing issues so that they can review learning intentions and be reminded of prompts. They can be easily made and distributed if you have a printer nearby. 

• Tracey Matthews (View all users posts) 24 Mar 2015 9:23pm ()

Hi  

We use modelling books for writing and maths which are used alongside our profile pages and in reading we just use our profile pages at the moment.  Maths is where I use my modelling book the most with the WALT and then Success criteria written with the help of the children after I have modelled the process sometimes we write it after the children have had a go at the activity it just depends on what the WALT and activity is.  We revisit this on our next lesson as a review and also to help up come up with our next learning steps (I have often sorted this in my mind after the last lesson, but this way it give the children the opportunity to feel empowered and have ownership of their learning).  I also record children's responses and thinking as evidence.  I also date and record children that I am woking with in each session on the page and note the reason children are not at the session i.e. extra support, absent, etc.

Within writing it is more of a whole class modelling book that we work together to construct our writing focussing on a WALT that is recorded at the top of the page.  With my Y1's last year we worked on creating SC but I haven't yet with my NE this year.  When I am working with a group for writing I sometimes will use the back of our writing modelling book to record notes and responses for that group in that session depending on what our WALT is and what we are doing.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.