Search

Collaborative models for collecting anecdotal evidence

Started by Mel Sutton 19 Mar 2015 9:33am () Replies (14)

I'm helping lead the change in our school from single cell to "MLE", where each pair of classes in our school have now had walls "chopped out" to open out the spaces.  Therefore there are around 2 teacher to 50-60 kids.

The focus for term 2 is looking at how we can collect anecdotal evidence of learning/feedback so that as a teaching team we can talk together about all the students learning, for the purpose of both next step teaching and reporting.

Any ideas and models welcome!

Replies

• fiona smallridge (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2015 5:25pm ()

Hi Mel

Hopefully this is going to be an interesting thread!  I'm looking forward to hearing people's ideas, as it's early days in the collaborative process for us too.

I work in a team of three, teaching year 5 and 6 students.  We have set up a system, using google docs spreadsheets, where each class is listed on a different sheet.   We date the box next to the student we want to comment on, then record our anecdotal comments using "comments".   We can all access the comments any time.

Our biggest challenge is finding the time to keep up with adding the comments!

Fiona

• Tracey Janes (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2015 5:49pm ()

Hi Mel, Fiona

We started an MLE at the end of last year. What worked for us was a Google Sheet with a class list / literacy / maths groupings / assessment on different sheets. The child's name on each sheet was hyperlinked to a separate GoogleDoc which contained notes about the child. The hyperlink was applied to the child's name on the class list, the maths list, the reading group list etc - so no matter fro which sheet you clicked on the child's name, you were still taken to the same Google Doc to make notes. This keeps all of the child's notes in one place.

Hope this helps!

• Hilary Bevin (View all users posts) 06 Apr 2015 4:13pm ()

Hi Tracey,

This sounds great as we are in the midst of the big change also (and currently using paper/books isnt helping or moving us forward) I would love to see examples of what you mean here as it all makes a lot of sense and also how you hyperlink. If you are able to share we would really appreciate it. I know googling hyperlink will help but actually seeing an example would be great too.

Thanks in advance

• Sam Harrison (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2015 7:39pm ()

Hi Mel , Fiona

My co-teacher and I share a MLE with 49 Year 4 and 5 students.  We decided to do all our planning, assessment etc on google docs, like Tracey we also hyperlinked the child's name in our maths, reading and writing planning so when we made observation notes it all went to the same place - Writing, Maths, Reading and Behaviour, meetings etc.  This seems to be working well, we make sure we make notes on 8 students a week.  Any immediate concerns/celelbrations we have put them on the group notes within the planning.  Cheers Sam

• Mel Sutton (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2015 7:24pm ()

Great ideas thanks.  I suppose the big thing is finding something that is consistently manageable. I've created a document I think will work...at the moment it's in paper form as it suits my partner more, but we hope if it works it can evolve further. Love the hyperlink idea! Definitely worth having a play.

Mel

• Charlotte Verity (View all users posts) 30 Mar 2015 10:25pm ()

Hi Sam and Mel

Have you got an example google doc with the hyperlink that you could possibly share?  It sounds great!   We're using google docs in our year 3-4 team too. Charlotte

• Oscarsranch (View all users posts) 05 Apr 2015 6:49am ()

This term we need to prepare for our Three way Learning conversations at the beginning of term 3.  We are currently teaching in a MLE with 3 teachers and classes, we too use google docs and sheets extensively for planning, assessment and anecdotal notes which does work well.  We each take responsibility for a curriculum area and will report on that via written reports but our question is how are other people conducting their parent interviews / student led conferences in an MLE with three teachers where all parents could have the opportunity to talk to all three teachers??? 

Any ideas

• Erin Sawyer (View all users posts) 05 Apr 2015 7:31am ()

We had the students write their own goals (with support from the teacher) for each of the 3 'classes' they have in a day. They then completed a student led conference that was facilitated by their whanau teacher. We let parents book for an hour block then within that block there were several conferences taking place at once. After that the parents could opt to speak to any of the curriculum teachers by heading over to their rooms and waiting until they could speak to them. I thought it worked really well this year. Feel free to ask for more info :)

• Jo Maguire (View all users posts) 05 Apr 2015 9:09am ()

Hi Erin

this sounds an interesting way for reporting. Just wondering how it would work if a parent had 2 or more children? Would they have to block in an hour for each child? 

• Erin Sawyer (View all users posts) 05 Apr 2015 9:53am ()

They could come anytime within the hour. We had some parents do both/all students in the hour and others booked different times.

• Belinda Buchanan (View all users posts) 05 Apr 2015 9:20am ()

We are a purpose built MLE school with up to 85 students and 4 teachers in our Learning Communities. We engaged our parents in goal setting early in term 1. They booked in a time with the Learning Community rather than a specific teacher. The teachers then divided up the bookings among themselves to ensure that each family had time with a teacher. The goal sheets were then completed using eTap and sent home as paper copies. As the term progresses the teachers write reflections on the goal reflection page in eTap. The students also write reflections. At the 3 way conference the parents are advised which teacher they need to book a time with. This is decided by the team. We then make sure that there is a very robust hand over of important and relevant information and that the students are really well prepared for their role in the conferences. There is also sharing of learning as evidence of the achieved learning goals. The teachers work with the students on putting tabs etc on the relevant books, and gathering digital evidence as appropriate. It is impossible for our parents to have a learning conference with all of the teachers in the Learning Community. Just too time consuming. As long as the teacher in the conference is well informed and knows the student really well it isn't an issue at all. We have spent a lot of time getting our heads around how to use eTap for goal setting, reflection and National Standards. It has been incredibly frustrating as eTap is simply not set up well for MLE but we think we have it pretty much sorted this year.  

• Tanya Wells (View all users posts) 13 Apr 2015 4:18pm ()

We have 3 way learning conferences and across our school right from our Y1/2  where I teach we get our children to share their learning with parents. Parents book a time and we match a teacher to the booking slot (i.e. a teacher that works with the child for most of their core learning (literacy, numeracy) but not always.It isn't possible (time constraints) for all 3 teachers to meet with parents.  Our kids share their goal sheets, literacy progressions etc and explain to their parents that if it is highlighted they can do it, if it's not they are working towards it. Children also select a piece of work they are really proud of for literacy and numeracy in their scrapbooks and explain to their parents about their learning as best as they can. They also select another piece of work from any curriculum area to share with their parents. As teachers of Juniors we also ask questions and support our children to share their learning as best as they can. We have a visual prompt sheet for our juniors and spend time practicing and modelling in the weeks, leading up to 3 way learning conferences, how to talk to your parents.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.