Search

Sharing photos using GAFE to personal student folders

Started by Lavinia Robyns 16 Mar 2015 2:37pm () Replies (11)

We have just moved to using Hapara teacher dashboard with individual student accounts for our year 5/6 students. How are other schools sharing photos online so that individual students can incorporate them in their Google Apps/Docs etc? We have a cloud-based storage solution when they are at school but we probably need a place they can access out of school too.  How do other schools manage this?

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Lavinia

Replies

• Tony Cairns (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2015 12:43am ()

in the old days i would cut each student a cd of just their images then we moved to pen drives and then photo chios and then the clouds

• Tony Cairns (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2015 12:42am ()

Sharing photos using GAFE to personal student folders

picasa integrates really well with google+ the images are grabbed off the digital photo cards by picasa and uploaded straight into google by google backup - videos are loaded to folders, google drive and youtube, al students faces are face recognized by google and then all images can be searched on google+ for students - folders of each students images are made for google and shared with an email to the student who can add, delete edit and send to parents caregivers the images they choose to share. Images for school promotion purposes, board report, classroom poster boards can be shred with AMT and newsletter editors and designers. All images are tagged for time, date, camera, details, class, subject, topic and investigation. All student work is shot or scanned and emailed from scanner to student. Uploads run over night from servers - students shoot all images for m school cameras or flip cameras and also from all their own devices. All bad images are deleted on transfer from cards and first sighting. Any images with raised hands are deleted in case students are signalling to delete - all photographers monitored and held to account for shots - all must ask permission and will normally be wearing, labcoat (decorated) hat and leis to show they are recorders - cameras share per group per experiment - all images are sighted by teachers, cut, sized colour balanced and straightened. All images end up in searchable albums, all automatically backed up and backed up monthly to flickr. All servers cleared annually and all dat wiped - i mean all data all images all videos when the teacher leaves the school. All videos are tagged dated, timed and improved by teachers - all videos appear in playlists of up to 100 videos. key items of a learning nature are shared with students via POND, Moodle, pinterest, Google+ newsletters, prints for assembling on posters on classroom walls, etc. imn haste its late and i need to mark 20 more assessments for y11.

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2015 11:13am ()

Thanks everyone for your advice. This is the email I've sent to my teachers outlining the steps. I hope this captures it all!

• Create a folder called PHOTOS in your class Google drive (Room 32) and upload the pictures to this folder (organised in sub-folders e.g. Maritime Museum Trip etc). 
    • Share that folder by email with all the students in your class. Teacher dashboard has a list of emails you can copy and paste (from class info - scroll down).
    • The students can add that folder to their own drive.
    • Any photos you upload to that folder are now also sitting in their drive.
  • Becksnewton (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2015 9:56pm ()

I created a class flickr account that all photos were uploaded to and used our class email address to create it.  Worked really well because we also had iPads and it made for easy transfer from the iPad to the Chromebooks.    

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2015 7:20pm ()

I share the folder with my children's emails. And teach them how to copy to their own drive. They can copy anything from the folder. 

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2015 4:34pm ()

I make a folder called Room 11 and share it with my whole class. I then upload photos to this folder and they can use them whenever they need them.

• Gabe.H (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2015 3:04pm ()

I make a folder of the photos and email to the students gmail accounts. Works really well. They can then choose any they want to add to writing for their blogs. Means they can share whole file with parents if they want too. (I spend a bit of time cropping and sorting before putting them into folder.

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2015 7:13pm ()

Thanks for the suggestion - so you have the images saved in the folder in your drive (called room 11) which you share via TD email or smartcopy?

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2015 2:45pm ()

Questions:  Do you not allow your students to access their work at home through GAFE?

Our students have accounts and use them at school/home/where ever.

They have shared folders that are accessible on many levels.  Each of our three teachers can access all student documents through TD (teacher dashboard) each student group has access to members of that group, and admin has access to everything.,...   e.g. Marama (Y7/8) has 81 students, and they all access shared folders within their groups for varying activities.  There is an 'image' folder with other folders in it organised into varying events.

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 16 Mar 2015 7:16pm ()

Yes we do encourage students to access work at home through GAFE but I wasn't sure how to share a folder of photos so all students can access this central folder (without using smartcopy in teacher dashboard).

Join this group to contribute to discussions.