Search

Using iMacs in the classroom

• Public
Started by AnnetteMK22 13 Mar 2015 9:25am () Replies (5)

Hi all,

We have recently got two new iMacs for our NE classroom (we are a modern learning environment with 35 kids so far!). Really want to make good use of these in the classroom and just wondering if other junior teachers could give me some examples of what they use their iMacs/ PCs for? :) even some good maths or literacy websites would be great 

Thanks in advance! 

Annette

Replies

• Dianne Collier (View all users posts) 13 Mar 2015 9:57am ()

I use it as a listening post for shared stories (using an octopus connector and earphones) - those stories on internet (eg Te Huinga Raukura series)

APPs - lots of vocab building activities

there are some handwriting apps where you trace the letters - great for NE, and could be a rotation along with other things to reinforce the letters.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 13 Mar 2015 2:20pm ()

Hi there Annette, yayyy for 2 new iMacs for your juniors :-)

Here's a page called, Literacy, numeracy, e-Learning and YOU. It offers ideas around how you might use digital technologies in Numeracy and Literacy lessons and why. For example when thinking about integrating e-tools...

If we're using any e-tools (laptops, desktops, netbooks, tablets, ) think about...

1. What do you want to do?…EG, is it a goal for students or teachers (plan, teach, assess)

If students….

1. Who is being been taught? (individual, group, class, priority learners) 
    2. What are they learning to do…EG: learning intentions (based on prior data gathering) We were learning to…
    3. Intended valued outcomes (what they might look like once achieved) We wanted to achieve… 
    4. Planned and delivered interventions (what does this look like if taught effectively) How might it look…
    5. Appropriate technologies/e-learning tools used (how will these impact on the learning?) We used…and this resulted in..
    6. Ways to assess - valued student outcomes (what do these now look like, where can we archive and share these digitally?)
       EXPLORE        |       CREATE      |       COMMUNICATE        |       COLLABORATE
    Sorry, the resources shared on the page are not specifically for Juniors, but you might be able to have some 'playtime' or 'sandpit time' to find what works best for your students' needs? 

I'd love to hear how you get on? smiley
  • AnnetteMK22 (View all users posts) 13 Mar 2015 2:23pm ()

Awesome thanks Tessa - this looks GREAT! I will definitely keep you posted on how I get on! :) 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 13 Mar 2015 3:05pm ()

Oh cool Annette, glad it helps a little. Other possible things to consider too (if you haven't already)...

• Creating booking or rotational systems to tie in with targeted learning opportunities (learn new skills or consolidate learning in maths etc)
    • Having web-based resources accessible in a safe Intranet space or bookmarked in a Child friendly browser (see below)?
    • Maybe train up some keen beans to become the class models/mentors for others. They might be skilled in helping others to:
      • Log on
      • Find the right folder/resource/programme (go back to where they were suppose to be)
      • Save and organise files 
      • Use accessories like cameras, microphones (download or edit files)
    • You may well already have systems in place in your school with student helpers smiley. Sometimes a badge helps identify who your IT leaders are. 

You might also like to view this webinar recording from Enabling e-Learning too:

Child friendly browsers:

1. Google kids search engine
    2. Maxthon Kids safe browserMy Kids Browser
    3. ZAC Browser
    4. My Kids Browser
    5. Kid Zui
    6. PikLuk
    7. KIDO'Z
    8. Kidoz
    9. Kidsplorer
    10. Kidsonline

There are also 10 Kid-Friendly Browsers for the iPad.

Taken from /discussion/view/844143

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.