Search

Managing device use in a BYOD classroom

• Public
Started by Rebecca 04 Mar 2015 8:58pm () Replies (14)

Hi,

I have a year 4/5 class where the children all have a device - some are using their own, some are using the schools chromebooks.  For the most part this is working really well and the children are really engaged but we are having some problems with monitoring the use of the devices particularly when I am working with a group or conferencing with individual children.  I am finding that during these times some of the children are using their devices inappropriately - playing games, sending each other lot's of emails or taking silly photos.  

So my question is does anyone have any ideas on how to manage 28 children's devices to ensure they are on task?  I've seen a few different software packages that allow you to see thumbnails of each child's device but they all seem very expensive. 

Any ideas??

Replies

• Sarah Prescott (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2015 8:41am ()

Hi there,

We had a similar situation at our intermediate/high school and introduced Google dashboard to help monitor the Chrome books. It shows the tabs the students have open and also the documents they're working on. We just had it up all the time and the students now assume you can see what they're on all the time and it has curbed the not-on-task stuff quite a bit.
    Not sure how much it costs.

Hope this helps.

• Sarah Prescott (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2015 10:52am ()

I can completely see your point, and the reality is that for the most part the relationships between the students and teachers are solid enough that it isn't an issue. It was something we implemented for the Year 7 and 8s as parents were concerned about the reality of students being able to go off task quickly if they chose to. We really only used Google dashboard for Term 1, and after that the students had a good enough relationship that they didn't chose to push the boundaries that way. It wasn't implemented so that teachers could sit behind a desk and play god, but more as a stop gap measure to have a concrete strategy in place.

It is a relatively easy solution that can be implemented to help while relationships are built and boundaries are established. It also helped to stop some students from 'tattling' on each other, as they knew the teacher could see themselves. It's hardly used now that Chromebooks have been in our school for a year, but it is a tool that is available. Some teachers didn't use it, some did. The choice was up to them, and like I said, it is hardly used now that the students don't have the novelty factor anymore.

Perhaps our experience is also coloured by the fact that our school as Year 7-13 students, which changes the interactions between students/teachers/students in that many younger students are exposed to older ones earlier than normal as there is no separation/boundaries between the different age groups. Also the fact that students are constantly moving between classes and teachers in a high school setting makes a difference to what I know happens in primary schools (generally).

Join this group to contribute to discussions.