Search

Managing device use in a BYOD classroom

• Public
Started by Rebecca 04 Mar 2015 8:58pm () Replies (14)

Hi,

I have a year 4/5 class where the children all have a device - some are using their own, some are using the schools chromebooks.  For the most part this is working really well and the children are really engaged but we are having some problems with monitoring the use of the devices particularly when I am working with a group or conferencing with individual children.  I am finding that during these times some of the children are using their devices inappropriately - playing games, sending each other lot's of emails or taking silly photos.  

So my question is does anyone have any ideas on how to manage 28 children's devices to ensure they are on task?  I've seen a few different software packages that allow you to see thumbnails of each child's device but they all seem very expensive. 

Any ideas??

Replies

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2015 8:33am ()

Hey Rebecca,

Are you using Google Apps? One option is to turn email off for students. We continue to have our email off for Year 3 and 4 students - has not been problematic for teacher workflow etc.

Hapara Teacher Dashboard is the product that monitors students device use. It is worth the money.

Hapara Teacher Dashboard is priced as follows:

• $4 per student per year (annual agreements).  This cost includes Drive, Calendar, Blogger, Sites, Picasa, Parent Portal.

• Interact, an add-on module, is an additional $2 per student per year.

• Multi-year discounts are available.

• 15% Chromebook discount for Teacher Dashboard and Interact bundle (must have at least 20 Chromebooks with the management console purchased for each).  Discount applies to the first year only.

Hope this helps.

Steve

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2015 10:57am ()

Great call Ian - completely agree.

My recommendation of Teacher Dashboard being essential is more from a teacher workflow end - not so much the monitoring. But, it is great to show the students that what they are doing can be seen. I have never seen a teacher sitting at their desk watching their dashboard - and if I did I think we would be revoking their Teacher Dashboard account!

As for email, I think it is a 'ages and stages' question. Most schools have their Juniour school only using pencils and they graduate to pens later. I see the same with students only having Google Drive accounts and graduating to email accounts when they are ready for this responsibility.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.