Search

Managing device use in a BYOD classroom

• Public
Started by Rebecca 04 Mar 2015 8:58pm () Replies (14)

Hi,

I have a year 4/5 class where the children all have a device - some are using their own, some are using the schools chromebooks.  For the most part this is working really well and the children are really engaged but we are having some problems with monitoring the use of the devices particularly when I am working with a group or conferencing with individual children.  I am finding that during these times some of the children are using their devices inappropriately - playing games, sending each other lot's of emails or taking silly photos.  

So my question is does anyone have any ideas on how to manage 28 children's devices to ensure they are on task?  I've seen a few different software packages that allow you to see thumbnails of each child's device but they all seem very expensive. 

Any ideas??

Replies

• Rebecca (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2015 7:09am ()

Similarly we have had students and parents sign an agreement prior to using their devices and had a lot of discussions around use. We also have a procedure around misuse which sounds similar but it doesn't seem to be deterring a small group of boys.

• Rebecca (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2015 10:58am ()

I do see your point Ian and I would like to think that my classroom is an environment where children can express themselves, be creative and learn new things.  I do give the kids choices, I have a choices board on which different apps and programmes are displayed and from which the children can choose from if we are working independently.  We use story jumper and story bird for creating stories, have puppet pals, comic strip and lots of other really cool apps that they can choose from but there are still a select few students who don't choose to do these things.  During core learning time it isn't a problem, I use google classroom and the kids love going on there to do their follow ups and love writing in the blog etc but it's when I do give them choices that it crops up.  It is early days and I'm imagining it will all iron itself out, I think there will always be some students who I will need to be a bit more directive with and perhaps come up with ways to be more directive with them while still giving them some choices. 

• Rebecca (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2015 6:55pm ()

I think the dashboard sounds like a good idea. As you said Sarah the idea is not to sit and monitor all my students, I don't even have a desk in my classroom and my computers always hooked up to the projector and being used for modelling etc so wouldn't be able to!! But I think it would be an incentive for those who do need some help with managing themselves and I would hope it would only be needed for a short time. 

• Rebecca (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2015 7:06pm ()

Does anyone know if you can get the Interact part of Hapara without the dashboard?  We use google classroom for workflow and seems to work well and is without cost so don't know if we'd use the dashboard. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.