Search

Chromebook - Lease v buy

• Public
Started by Craig Wilkinson 27 Feb 2015 9:33am () Replies (7)

Our school is thinking of  purchasing Chromebooks as we are heading down the google apps path. I was wondering if leasing was a better option than purchasing old devices can get fairly clunky with age.

Any thoughts?

Your help would be appreciated.

Craig

Replies

• Gabe.H (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2015 9:39am ()

Purchasing probably better option, at least you know they are new! Our school purchased 70 odd Chromebooks last year. 54 for use in Yr 7& 8 digital classrooms and the others shared out in other rooms. Only had 2 problems with devices needing service. They are great value for money! Can't imagine life without them.

Gabriel

• Kararaina Luke (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2015 9:47am ()

Hi, depending on your budget- if you can afford to purchase then I recommend you do. Leasing may spread the money but that option will cost you more in  the long run. 

• Mark Edwards (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2015 9:50am ()

I'm a fan of leasing when there is large numbers involved purely because of servicing and end of life disposal that most schools don't factor in...i.e. it might cost $5 each chromebook to dispose of which soon adds up.

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2015 9:57am ()

Chromebooks are less likely to get clunky as your chromebook is really just a browser in a case.  Your operating system is the most modern as the browser is updated automatically and with less moving parts than other laptops, have a longer life in general.  

• Garth (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2015 9:58am ()

Having worked with both options in the past, I am still undecided. 

Purchasing Pros: New gear, you can extend the use life if required, one off cost

Purchasing Cons: Need a huge dollop of money up front, temptation to keep units way past their use-by date

Leasing Pros: New gear (if "purchasing" from reseller), capital cost extended over time, can afford to obtain more units than with a straight purchase, 3 year refresh so you keep up with the tech changes

Leasing Cons: Long term - you pay more, you pay for delivery costs within the initial lease, and you pay freight costs at end of lease to return units, if  a unit dies, you still pay the lease cost, and have to front up with a residual cost to purchase at end of lease.

Our school leases all ICT stuff, so even with the extra work with 3 year refreshes, our gear stays pretty much bleeding edge. However, there is a big time cost in managing the asset list, especially with partial asset population leases expiring at different times - we rollover our entire school fleet within a 3 year cycle, so I guess, all in all, not a bad idea to lease.

Garth

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2015 10:11am ()

If you can afford it, then purchase!  I'd never go back to lease options.  Chromebooks have solid specs to keep them running well for 4/5 years usage.  The OS is mostly cloud based, so google's servers run the leg work.  The only draining part of the chromebook specs are web-based games using the SOC GPU (single on chip grafic processor) and application switching.

4Gb and 16Gb hard drive is all you'll need to future proof a Chromebook for 5 years.   Last year we purchased the Acer 720c.  It has a better processor and 4Gb of RAM for $440.  Touch screen to navigate and zoom into apps for better accessibility.

Our 3 year old Samsung Chromebooks have 2Gb of RAM and they run ok still.  Slightly slower to switch between apps and use extensions.    We've been a GAFE and Chromebook school for 4 years now, and only ever purchase them.  

Spending the same over 3 years, giving back devices and having nothing to stand with is not acceptable for us.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.