Passwords for accessing Blogs

• Public
Started by Steve Trotter 25 Feb 2015 2:03pm () Replies (3)

Hi,

If a class blog is not viewable without a login what would be the easiest method for Quad Blogging 'partnership' schools? We could make each class a member of their blog - so that they have to sign in to comment? Any other ideas from other schools that have had this issue in the past?

Cheers

Steve

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 25 Feb 2015 4:07pm ()

To make life easier for everyone I wonder if the solution would be to open the blogs up for pubic viewing.

You obviously want some sort of viewing and collaboration with other schools via class blogs as you have joined the Quadblogging group.

I would suggest that teachers moderate comments so they are cognisant of the traffic on their blogs.

On our class blog we have had over 2,500 comments and over 120,000 views none of which has ever been a problem. It has opened up a world of connections and collaboration that we would never have been able to achieve of our blogs were private. I would encourage you to trial opening your blogs and encouraging commenting.

Blog Commenting Numbers

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 25 Feb 2015 5:28pm ()

Thanks Allanah,

Yes, in an ideal world we would have it opened up - and hope to get that point soon*.

Currently we have a number of families who want online content secure for a variety of reasons; including sensitive custody arrangements, parents high security jobs and past history of families.

Rather than excluding some students we have decided to keep all our online content password secured. Parents have their own access, either through their own or children's accounts.

Yes, we want to collaborate with others and know the value of this, but we do not to be responsive to the needs of our community.

I personally do not have a problem with having to log in to make comments on a blog :)

*The new Kid Blog platform allows for each post to be set as private (teacher view only), viewable to class members, viewable to connections or open to the world. When we migrate to this new version, we will communicate with the community about how some posted content will be open (e.g. writing) and some private (e.g. named photos).

Join this group to contribute to discussions.