Search

How we can help juniors reflect on their learning?

• Public
Started by Susan Lindsey 12 Feb 2015 11:17pm () Replies (10)

Been wondering how we can help juniors reflect on their learning and how we can make this visible in our rooms?

Replies

• Sharon Clarke (View all users posts) 12 Feb 2015 11:23pm ()

Awesome question. I'm looking forward to the responses. I would love to have some ideas too.

• wendy (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2015 3:49pm ()

I agree...really interested in what people are doing....I use a blog for pdotos of children's work but keen to give children voice about their learning.....ideas?

• Angelee Jarrett (View all users posts) 13 Feb 2015 7:07am ()

A very exciting topic for me indeed!  

My students are currently working out what it means to set goals and how to achieve them.  First, however, they had to think about what they were really good at doing.  We drew pictures (made the thinking visible) and then shared them with each other in discussion circles.

Only three of my twelve students were able to actually tell me things they were good at doing.  This is a great starting point for us as now I know that I need to scaffold reflective practise for these little learners.  I will need to use 'think alouds' to model what reflective practise can look like.  I will also use 'talking buddies' from next week.  This will help the children learn how to share their thinking.  A talking buddy is a stone I collected from the beach that they children get to name and paint.  They even write a story about them. They live in our 'thinking garden' and the children will use it to practise using their reflective tools.  We often use our blog as a platform for getting our thinking out there.... the parents in the class can comment and ask questions.  Creating a word wall with stems for sharing learning can be helpful as well.

Building community and developing language for how to share reflections are the best ways to start, so each person feels safe sharing and has a bank of words to help them do so.  

Check out this site... it is so incredibly powerful for making thinking visible. I use these thinking routines almost every day for one thing or another!

http://www.visiblethinkingpz.org/VisibleThinking_html_files/VisibleThinking1.html

Thank you for posting this question Susan!  I am #following :)

Angelee

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 13 Feb 2015 9:27pm ()

Here is a video on kids giving  feedback. Might be a starting place Austin's Butterfly And following on from what Angelee said here are some examples of making maths learning visible. 

• Nicole (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 3:28pm ()

Something I do that is very easy it to have a slide-show of photos going on my TV before school starts. The photos are of children learning, their work, things we have been doing etc and it has helped start so many conversations about learning, and the children reflecting on what they have been learning about. It also sparks parent-child conversations about the learning that we have been doing in the class when parents look at the photos.

• Abbie (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 7:46pm ()

That Austin's butterfly video was great. While I haven't yet used it with the students, I used it as a base for how I introduced reflection and feedback in art. I introduced 'careful looking' sketching, and the concept of biggest shapes first, then details and shading. I modelled the technique. When the students brought the 'finished' sketched to me for approval they were sent away to compare it to the original image and tell me what they had to improve on. Some guidance around shading (a relatively new concept for many) and reflection on their work in that particular context was required. But by and large students could come to me at the end of the lesson and tell me what they needed to work on. 

Handwriting has seen the biggest uptake in reflection by the students. We have the WALTs for the year on the wall, with their accompanying symbols. Students use these to identify their next step. They also use the QR coded video for instruction and as a comparison tool. 

We also hold end of day reflections in our care groups. Students have gone from saying "I was good," to things like... "I am getting better at doing my work and not talking,"... "I am working on writing quickly and getting down sounds I hear." The end of day reflection time has, in my view, made the biggest difference in student reflection on their learning and management of self etc. 

Context: I teach in a 0-3 team teaching environment with two other teachers. 

• Angelee Jarrett (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2015 8:18pm ()

Hi Abbie

great contribution.... Have a few questions now! Do you record your own videos for the QR codes for handwriting? Also, what are your learning intentions and the pictures you mention for each? Would you be able to post a photo for me to see of these?

Thank you

angelee

• Abbie (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2015 8:44pm ()

Hi Angelee, 

A member of our team recorded these last year when we were still teaching in 'traditional' classrooms. She used Showme (iPad app) to record the letters in groups. Students then had their names written on the letters that they were working on. She found a huge improvement in their handwriting. We have found the same this year - it is obvious looking at the work whether the video has been used or not. I'll put up a photo of our learning intentions tomorrow when I get to work(ish). 

• Abbie (View all users posts) 14 Apr 2015 8:53pm ()

Picture of success criteria Apologies for the delay in getting this up. This is what we use to help guide the students. They can quickly highlight their best effort and record their next step/WALT whether they can read and write fluently or not.

Sorry for the pic size - used embed code feature - the picture button asked for a URL. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.