Search

Supporting students as they prepare for life beyond school

• Public
Started by Chrissie Butler 12 Feb 2015 2:56pm () Replies (2)

I am working on some material on how schools can more effectively support young people transition from school into study, the work force, life in general.

I am looking at how taking a UDL approach can help.

Q. As a parent and/or teacher, what do you think schools can do to help young people prepare for leaving school?

I am particularly interested in stories or ideas that focus on young people who could easily slip through the system without the support they need.

To get your thinking going, here's a student describing how her personalised transition is helping her realise her dreams.

My dreams and future plans – student with Down Syndrome from Ministry of Education on Vimeo.

Drop any thoughts or ideas in the comments below :-)

Replies

• Barrie Matthews (View all users posts) 12 Feb 2015 3:36pm ()

Part of a mix could be the motivation that students get from reading about and hearing from young people who are already in the work force. Here, a number of young people talk about their careers as part of the Memorial Park construction project in Wellington. http://www.learnz.org.nz/memorialpark134/experts

Every LEARNZ virtual field trip has experts interacting with students in live audioconferences but students also get to know the experts through videos made as they go about their work. All good careers material embedded in a wider teaching and learning programme.

From a UDL point of view, students hear about careers in the audioconferences, they see and hear more about careers in videos and they read about careers in the expert's profile page. And the careers are presented in context of actual work taking place as part of a bigger picture.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.