Search

New Year e-Learning Challenge

Started by Tessa Gray 12 Feb 2015 1:21pm () Replies (10)

It's the start of a new educational year, why not, be brave, dive in and leave a comment that: Finishes this sentence...

"This year I plan to use [>>INSERT TECHNOLOGIES HERE <<] to get to know my learners and their whānau more by..."

Image source: Flickr

Replies

• Rebecca (View all users posts) 12 Feb 2015 7:07pm ()

"This year I plan to use Google Classroom, Blogger and Google drive to get to know my learners and their whānau more by..."    

creating an e-blended classroom environment where children are encouraged to try new things, use different types of technologies and collaborate with each other.  I intend to encourage home school partnerships through the sharing of learning at home via Google classroom, google drive, blogger and other sites like Storybird.  We have already started down this road and the whole class is engaged and excited already.  I'm excited to see what the future holds and what things this year is going to bring!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 13 Feb 2015 10:07am ()

Hi Rebecca, thanks for sharing, your plans sound intriguing and exciting alright. 

Coming from another perspective, as a parent, its a thrill when you get an email or digital notifications (games like Skoolbo, blogs etc) from the classroom teacher, especially if you're a working parent who can't get into school physically to be part of their learning day. It excites children and also means as parents we can feel connected and involved from home smiley.

One question...how is Google Classroom making a difference for you? I'm not too familiar with this myself?

• stenty42 (View all users posts) 12 Feb 2015 7:30pm ()

Rebecca, this sounds fantastic. We too are inquiring into eLearning and are taking a similar path. We use Google Doc sin our senior school, Blogger for the students to communicate with families and to bridge the gap between home and school.

It would be fantastic to share ideas and to see what others are doing or how they could support in this area.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 13 Feb 2015 10:16am ()

Hi Stenty42, great point about sharing ideas to see what others are doing. I'd love to see your examples of blogs too, if they were public to share? smiley

This year, we'd love to see more teachers sharing their plans to integrate e-Learning and we'd also love to hear how the lesson went - good, bad, ugly or otherwise. Sometimes there can be challenges with trialing digital  tools and new pedagogies: there's real gold from learning from these experiences too. What do you think?

• Anneke Smit (View all users posts) 23 Feb 2015 9:01pm ()

Right ... a bit new to this, so even the cutting and pasting isn't working ... but my goals for this year are to use Google Docs more effectively, along with learning about and integrating Google communities into my classroom so whanau can be more involved..   Life is crazy (like most of us) so I want to balance my excitement with all these new digital things and my home life (5 young kiddies).  I love the idea of being able to share lesson ideas/plans/units and collaborative teaching.  

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 09 Mar 2015 11:44am ()

Hi Anneke, thanks for sharing smiley, wow 5 young ones at home. You're a legend! I love your idea about meshing what's important between work and home. I think as teachers if we can use technologies for their own purposes, family/whānau life etc, then we're more likely to see the purpose and potential for integrating these tools into learning opportunities - as well as saving time, like sharing planning. I have a question... can you please elaborate on Google communities? I'm not that familiar with this frown.

• Anneke Smit (View all users posts) 10 Mar 2015 1:58pm ()

Google communities is like a FB page, but set up through Google +, so students need to be over 13 to use it.  They have a google + account, and can reply and comment on things I put up, or post themselves.  I haven't used it that much yet.  Hoping the winter terms will mean we get some more use out of it in terms of feedback on learning.  I did a padlet page though for quick feedback on a lesson, and they enjoyed that.

• Amie Williams (View all users posts) 10 Mar 2015 5:19am ()

This year I plan to use Google Classroom and Google Drive to make our classroom accessible outside it's walls.  I plan on using Blogger for our class blog, to engage whanau in their child's learning.  Blogger works for me, so I also plan on using it for my professional learning record and as a portal for all our teachers to collaborate on in order to share our newest e-learning journeys and 1:1 experience.

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 10 Mar 2015 2:52pm ()

Thanks for sharing, Amie. I look forward to hearing how it all goes.

What sorts of things do you/will you share on your class blog and what evidence do you think/hope you'll get that whānau have engaged?

All the best with those goals smiley

Join this group to contribute to discussions.