Search

Issues around getting student inquiry embedded in school

Started by Trevor Bond 11 Feb 2015 2:58pm () Replies (4)

This thing called 'inquiry' sounds great in theory. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that getting it embedded into classroom practice has its issues and difficulties.

Let's share, talk and maybe we can help each other!

Replies

• susan wood (View all users posts) 11 Feb 2015 3:32pm ()

I will be really interested to see the issues that other schools have faced.

• NadiaLowden (View all users posts) 23 Feb 2015 12:34pm ()

I have come from a school where we have been doing 'inquiry' for the past 5 years. This year I have begun at a new school and one of my roles is implementing Inquiry learning into our classrooms. Very interested to hear about other school's journeys. 

• Hayden Shaw (View all users posts) 10 Jan 2016 7:58pm ()

Hi all, i'm planning on using inquiry learning a lot more in my teaching this year with a year 9 class I have. I plan to give this class two 4-5 week inquiry blocks at different points in the year. Given that this is in a secondary school environment, the normal curriculum time for Maths, Science, English and Social Science will have to stop to allow this to take place. What are some important points that I need to be aware of as a teacher setting up these lengthy inquiries. What should I make sure I do and avoid doing to ensure it is a powerful learning experience for my students. Any wise words would be great!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.