Search

Coding for Intermediate students

• Public
Started by Lynne Crowe 03 Feb 2015 7:26pm () Replies (18)

Hi, I am going to start a lunchtime group for students interested in learning how to code. I have explored lots of sites online but now feel overwhelmed. Can anyone point me in a starting direction.
Many of the students who are keen are quite au fait with coding/programming and I intend to begin with this group (who may not need a lot of help) but then I want to expand and include a much wider range of abilities.

Any ideas, help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Ginette Van Praag (View all users posts) 13 Mar 2015 5:24pm ()

I've just been reading through this thread and would like to introduce myself, because this is a topic close to my heart.

I've taught Scratch and junior programming / computer science for a few years. Go here for Scratch and STEM projects done with years 4/5 +. 

I'm currently doing a Post Grad Diploma in eLearning and Digital Technologies at the moment, with a special focus on implementing Computer Science in the classroom. 

I have a few hats that I wear that are focused on this space - I'm eLearning support facilitator for the VLN Primary School, eTeacher for the VLN, teaching Level 1 Digital Technologies and Director of The Technology Hub, which has provider content in Pond.

On the Hub website there's a range of resources I've developed relating to this topic, including a starter Scratch resource anyone is welcome to download with my compliments, just click on this link.

On the web site you'll also find information about the after-school programme for the 8-12 age group I co-founded with Whangarei Central Libraries, teaching kids Programming and CS with Raspberry Pis.

All very cool learning.  By all means contact me if you'd like to discuss your ideas further, or if I can help in any way with your project Mary-Anne.  

I'm planning to offer an introduction to programming and computer science course through VLN Primary next term.  If you are interested in enrolling your students, please email me: ginette.vp@vln.school.nz

Nga mihi

Ginette

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.