Search

Coding for Intermediate students

• Public
Started by Lynne Crowe 03 Feb 2015 7:26pm () Replies (18)

Hi, I am going to start a lunchtime group for students interested in learning how to code. I have explored lots of sites online but now feel overwhelmed. Can anyone point me in a starting direction.
Many of the students who are keen are quite au fait with coding/programming and I intend to begin with this group (who may not need a lot of help) but then I want to expand and include a much wider range of abilities.

Any ideas, help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2015 1:53pm ()

Hi Lynne, how exciting! I think coding is another important language (digital literacy), that puts our students in charge of the tools/software rather than the other way around.

I don't want to overwhelm you, but there are some gems in this thread, The world needs programmers including a web-based resource shared by Chrissie Butler called, Codeacademy (free).

Codeacademy  

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

This year we'd love to see more practitioners sharing their journey (good, bad or ugly) in Enabling e-Learning, so we can follow along and learn from each other's experiences.

Smiles, Tess smiley

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Feb 2015 11:37am ()

Yayyy, that would be awesome Lynne. Thank you smiley. Any images, videos even and the good/bad/ugly analysis of what happened, means we can also learn from your experiences Lynne (if that's ok?).

Sounds a bit greedy doesn't it? But I think if more educators reflect online about what works and doesn't work so well - right down to the nitty gritty of teacher management, assessment, benefits to learners etc, we can grow the confidence to trial things for ourselves as well, and then more people can share back into  growing pool of ideas. I've always loved recycling! 

Image sourced from CC.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.