Search

Coding for Intermediate students

• Public
Started by Lynne Crowe 03 Feb 2015 7:26pm () Replies (18)

Hi, I am going to start a lunchtime group for students interested in learning how to code. I have explored lots of sites online but now feel overwhelmed. Can anyone point me in a starting direction.
Many of the students who are keen are quite au fait with coding/programming and I intend to begin with this group (who may not need a lot of help) but then I want to expand and include a much wider range of abilities.

Any ideas, help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• jesse callagan (View all users posts) 03 Feb 2015 7:47pm ()

Hi Lynne

If I were in your situation I would start out working with scratch. This is a very open ended visual coding tool which allows students who are just starting out to work on very simple projects to find their feet while more advanced students can work on developing more complex games and other engaging projects. It is free and has a very large online community so there are a lot of resources out there. I will use it with both Year 7 and Year 8 students after experimenting with it last year. 

Jesse Callaghan

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2015 6:06pm ()

Thanks Jesse. I did use Scratch with students several years ago  and think it could be useful with beginners.

• Sandy Lediard (View all users posts) 03 Feb 2015 7:52pm ()

Thanks for the suggestion Jesse. I'm just starting out with my students, so any help much appreciated.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 03 Feb 2015 8:00pm ()

Hi sandy and jess,

If you google "hour of code", the website has a series of lessons. range from very entry level and starting programming, right into actual coding.
    Like jess said scratch is fantastic for programming as there are no limits. However is not really 'coding' as it has a user interface. But students can see the code behind what they programme. My students are bored of the user interface and are now using code to tell scratch what to do. It's a great transition.

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2015 6:08pm ()

Thanks Hamish. I will have another look at this site. When I investigated sites last year I found that many were going to end up costing money after the initial few lessons.

I think this is more the direction I want to head with my students.

• jesse callagan (View all users posts) 03 Feb 2015 10:16pm ()

Hi again, 

check out this websiteUnder the Year 7 resources section you can find a series of step by step scratch activities. I think the documents were originally made by the uk codeclub but I couldn't find the original links. They give you step by step visual guides to complete a series of game coding activities. This guide will create the this game. You students can use scratch online so no special software is needed. If you have any questions don't hesitate to shoot me an email. 

Jesse

• Sandy Lediard (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2015 10:36am ()

Thanks again. Starting with scratch today and will explore other suggestions this week.

Thanks again. Starting with scratch today and will explore other suggestions this week.

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2015 1:53pm ()

Hi Lynne, how exciting! I think coding is another important language (digital literacy), that puts our students in charge of the tools/software rather than the other way around.

I don't want to overwhelm you, but there are some gems in this thread, The world needs programmers including a web-based resource shared by Chrissie Butler called, Codeacademy (free).

Codeacademy  

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

This year we'd love to see more practitioners sharing their journey (good, bad or ugly) in Enabling e-Learning, so we can follow along and learn from each other's experiences.

Smiles, Tess smiley

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2015 6:10pm ()

Thanks for the link Tess. I am hoping to record this learning of part of my appraisal so I may end up with something to share!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Feb 2015 11:37am ()

Yayyy, that would be awesome Lynne. Thank you smiley. Any images, videos even and the good/bad/ugly analysis of what happened, means we can also learn from your experiences Lynne (if that's ok?).

Sounds a bit greedy doesn't it? But I think if more educators reflect online about what works and doesn't work so well - right down to the nitty gritty of teacher management, assessment, benefits to learners etc, we can grow the confidence to trial things for ourselves as well, and then more people can share back into  growing pool of ideas. I've always loved recycling! 

Image sourced from CC.

• Nicola (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2015 3:17pm ()

Hi Lynne

Try this website:  http://www.codeclub.org.nz/

They are wanting to set up clubs across NZ and their resources are free and they will help get you a volunteer from the industry to come in and help.

Regards

Nicola

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 04 Feb 2015 6:10pm ()

This looks to be another promising link. Thanks Nicola.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.