Search

Photo effects on mac

• Public
Started by Natasha Furness 25 Jan 2015 7:50am () Replies (4)

Hi everyone,

Sorry, not sure if this is the right place for this question. I am trying to find the most appropriate programme on the mac to be able to add backgrounds to photos i.e. have a photo with the effect of an aquarium in the background. I have spent the last 40 minutes searching and not finding anything of real use so thought someone on here might direct me in the right direction? 

Thank you,

Natasha

Replies

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 25 Jan 2015 8:34am ()

Photobooth has effects with "greenscreen" type backgrounds including aquarium. You take a photo with the background effect in place.

Otherwise it depends on what your foreground picture is. Using Pages (with all macs), if I have a pic of me on a plain background I can use the alpha tool to take out the background and put any behind it that I want. See partially done image below I did in two minutes.

Alpha

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 25 Jan 2015 10:28am ()

Hi Natasha - 2015 will be the year visual will join readin', writin', and speakin' in the mainstream.

Quite a few applications on the Mac offer the opportunity to add backgrounds. Photobooth is simple but clunky and limited.

Keynote and Pages (come with the Mac) have an alpha tool where you can delete parts of an image - normally but not necessarily background, which becomes transparent and can then be overlaid on another image. if you want a person to be blended in it is best to use a common colour background - green screening 8-} The resulting image can be exported as a .jpeg and used wherever.

Comic Life has an alpha option allowing you to blend images in your comics. Talk to me more about this if you are interested.

Have just seen Warren's answer - this might add a little more.

• Jacqui Sharp (View all users posts) 25 Jan 2015 12:33pm ()

Hi Natasha, Here is a link to a blog post I wrote on using the Alpha on Keynote http://sharpjacqui.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/motivating-writing-using-apple-macs.html

Join this group to contribute to discussions.