Search

Google Docs for Teacher Appraisal/Registered Teacher Criteria - Inquiry

Started by Nix 19 Jan 2015 9:47pm () Replies (27)

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone out there is using google docs as a form of teacher appraisal to meet the registered teacher criteria.  If anyone is willing to share the way that they or their school use it that would be greatly appreciated.  We have been exploring my portfolio as another option with the intent to move away from the traditional paper form.  Thanks in advance 

Replies

• Erin Sawyer (View all users posts) 19 Jan 2015 10:10pm ()

I have used MyPortfolio for a few years. I'm at a new school now that prefers to use GAE so I've created a template using Google sites. We have linked the RTCs with our own appraisal. Teachers then reflect and collate evidence against the criteria and their own personal goals. I'll happily share the template once I've completed the last few bits! It can definitely be done and being able to collect different media and having ownership over it makes the appraisal process much more worthwhile. Also check out the MyPortfolio webinars from last year as there one on the appraisal process.

• annerotorua (View all users posts) 19 Jan 2015 10:10pm ()

Our teachers all have a blog to demonstrate their evidence for Registered Teacher Criteria. We set them up at the start of 2014 and use Blogger. The thing we like about using blogs is that each teacher adds labels for each posting  - useful because often the evidence included in the posting is often relevant for more than one of the Registered Teacher Criteria. A specific label can then be selected in order to view all the postings containing evidence for that criteria. 

Teachers have also set up extra pages in their blogs - one of these is for them to keep a record of their Professional Development and another page outlines what they have done for Teaching as Inquiry.

We made sure that the teacher set up the blog under their personal google login - so that they retain ownership of it (ie we didn't set them up under the school Google Apps for Education account). It is important to check the settings re privacy on Blogger - most teachers at our school have added their appraiser as an author and under permissions have the blog readers setting as private to blog authors.

It was relatively easy for us to set up blogs as teachers all have a class blog so were familiar with the layout and how to make postings.

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 19 Jan 2015 10:16pm ()

You are welcome to use my template here for a portfolio against the registered teacher criteria and these two youtube videos, which explain how to set up a Google Site for this purpose.

Video 1

Video 2

Good luck!!

• ZoeyP (View all users posts) 15 Feb 2015 5:17pm ()

Thank you so much Leigh. Your videos are brilliant.  I am a beginning teacher and I was undecided what to use to record my progress, the way you have explained how a google site can be used has been very helpful.

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 16 Feb 2015 10:42pm ()

Thanks so much Leigh, is something I have been meaning to create - so thankful that you are willing to share :)

My 2 cents is that Google Sites are great, as they allow teachers to add any media in an organised manner - perfect for an eportfolio. When teachers discover the ease of adding Google Docs, videos and images, they are always keen on using Sites - not to mention the range of sharing options (works the same as a Google Doc - can be private - or shared with specific people).

Thanks again Leigh!

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 17 Feb 2015 11:28am ()

Just as an aside, when I attended a course recently on What is Evidence run by the TRC, they were also advocating the use of evidence for Tataiako as well as RTC's.   This evidence could be interwoven throughout the criteria of course. 

Also the way that they approached gathering evidence was more purposeful ie gather evidence around your TRCs and inquiry as you consciously enact.   I am personally much more in favour of collecting evidence as you go, around everything that you do as a teacher, as when teachers get busy, they often forget to do these things.  It is much easier to "collect, then select, reflect and project," as Nick Rate says,  later when you get time (yeah right!) to work on your eportfolio.  Not much good if you have little to select from.

• Sarah Parker (View all users posts) 20 Jan 2015 10:16am ()

Thanks heaps Leigh.  I am currently using Interlead Appraisal but have squirreled it away to have a play with. :-)

• anne robertson (View all users posts) 20 Jan 2015 11:00am ()

I use a Google Site  https://sites.google.com/site/anneslearningjourney/evidence-portfolio - it's looking a bit tired now as I created it a few years ago but it still serves a purpose.  Teachers at my school use whatever suits them so, some are using Google Drive to upload evidence and write reflections, some still use box files, a couple also use Evernote.

• Mark Callagher (View all users posts) 20 Jan 2015 5:14pm ()

Hi, Palmy Boys' High have used Google Docs templates for Teacher Appraisal integrated with Teaching Inquiry via Professional Learning Groups (PLG's). This was successfully completed with the focus on SOLO Taxonomy Inquiries in Dept PLGs in 2014.

Last year was my final year at Palmy Boys' High but I have gained permission to share the Google Doc templates here in this shared Google Folder which you may find of some use.

Enjoy.

• Sonya Van Schaijik (View all users posts) 20 Jan 2015 5:25pm ()

Loving the discussion, thanks for sharing.

http://sonyavanschaijik.com/registered-teacher-criteria/

I have set up pages on my blog to help with tracking.

I am keen to reflect more on each RTC, so have set up a tagging system in sheets, that can be modified.

I have just set up a Professional Literature page and will use the same system.

http://sonyavanschaijik.com/professional-literature/

All docs can be copied as I have made everything as open as aI can.

Great to see how other schools are evolving.

I will come back and catch up again.

• Tim Thatcher (View all users posts) 20 Jan 2015 5:25pm ()

Hi

I would strongly advise against Myportfolio as it is not user friendly. You will get a lot of disgruntled staff if you use Myportfolio. I experienced this at two different schools. Google sites or docs is used very successfully in a number of schools. Begin with making a google docs folder as a replacement for your paper one. Then in the second year transition to sites for those who feel comfortable. It's important staff are not further alienated from the appraisel process by being thrown in the deep end with IT. 

• Mark Callagher (View all users posts) 20 Jan 2015 8:34pm ()

Tim makes some strong points about the choice of Technology. I concur that when moving teachers from paperless systems to digital, we need to consider that the technology should not be a barrier. I agree that using Google Docs is a good first step, and later moving those who gain confidence onto a Google Site for a portfolio (collecting and hyper-linking their docs and other evidence such as videos etc) sounds like a great option. However, jumping straight into Sites could be a bit much for those that have little experience with technology.

Having been an E-Learning Facilitator at two schools now, I must say I find people have found Google Docs the easiest technology to pick up including understanding its purpose (online storage, and collaboration). The technology quickly recedes into the background and lets the task become the focus, whether administration or learning.

• Shaun Wood (View all users posts) 20 Jan 2015 7:00pm ()

Thanks for sharing everyone. I have been using Google Presentation for the last few years because I wanted to be able to easily embed it into web pages. However I am moving over to Sites (thanks for the template Leigh) this year as it will give me more space for evidence. If you wish to see it follow the link below, however I haven't developed the Site yet. I also agree with Tim about MyPortfolio, it's way to difficult and time consuming, although I did record all my school PD in it.

http://shaunwood.wikispaces.com/Registered+Teacher+Criteria

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 20 Jan 2015 9:57pm ()

It sounds like Nix has been trialling Myportfolio at school so I am sure that they will find the Google Sites a much easier option.  There is plenty of online help for Google Sites and we are trying to encourage a bit more curiosity and self-help when integrating technology into our professional lives.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.