Search

Question from part B of the Concept Form re 'communities'

• Public
Started by Sue Smith 15 Dec 2014 6:10pm () Replies (3)

Can I have a little more specific guidance on what is meant by 'describe any communities' please.

Is a focus group of parents from the school which you are going to work with a 'community' or are they part of the project?

Many thanks

Sue

Replies

• Ed Strafford (View all users posts) 17 Dec 2014 1:00pm ()

My apologies for the delay Sue.

I was off work ill yesterday and need to go home again now, I hope to be back at work tomorrow but can't guarantee that.

I will provide a 'proper' reply as soon as I can.

Given the delay and my uncertainty around my return to work you might want to email or call as shown below, to prevent delays to your thinking.

Ngā mihi,

Ed

• Ed Strafford (View all users posts) 19 Dec 2014 3:23pm ()

Kia ora Sue,

Here's my best response to your questions:

Can I have a little more specific guidance on what is meant by 'describe any communities' please.

The best way I can answer this is by referring you to the Guidelines (see link below). I say this because my interpretation would not necessarily be the same as the selection panel, which is yet to be convened. In an attempt to offer more than just a link to the document I have selected the references in it which refer to "community" or "communities".

http://www.education.govt.nz/assets/Documents/Ministry/Investing-in-Educational-Success/Teacher-led-Innovation-Fund/Teacher-Led-Innovation-Fund-Guide-web.pdf

"work with experts, for example, academics, researchers and/or community experts to test ideas in a teacher-led research project"

"Although the Teacher-led Innovation Fund is for groups of primary and secondary kaiako/teachers in state and state integrated kura/schools, transitions are important. To this end, involving early childhood and tertiary partners, and business and community organisations (where relevant to the project) is encouraged."

"your research kaupapa may require the kind of expertise you would find within your school community; for example, expertise in tikanga or whakawhanaungatanga (for example, cultural knowledge or the ability to help build networks)."

"Start thinking about how you can use the kaiako/teachers, experts and hapori/communities involved in your kaupapa to share the project learning to wider educational settings."

You will see from those extracts that "communities" are fairly broadly defined.

You also asked: Is a focus group of parents from the school which you are going to work with a 'community' or are they part of the project?

My answer is based on my reading of the Project Concept Form . The form is structured in such a way that it is the teacher participants who are viewed as members of the project team.

On that basis, I suggest that a focus group of parents would be viewed as representatives of the parent community or communities.

The best ways to understand, acknowledge and benefit from the involvement of parents might well be something that is considered as the fund is evaluated.

I hope this response is helpful Sue.

I am on leave from the end of today until 20th January. I do think the best ways to work with (and alongside) parents and community are really important considerations. I am very grateful that you've opened this discussion up. Folks might have a range of views, and I'll look back in this thread with great interest when I am back on deck.

Go well, Ed

Join this group to contribute to discussions.