Search

Chromebook vs Ipads

• Public
Started by Kate Crawford 02 Dec 2014 1:14pm () Replies (6)

Kia Ora Koutou

We are in the process of purchasing new devices for our Year 7/8 classes for 2015.

I am wanting to know what peoples views/experiences are with using either Chromebooks or ipads?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using them.

Kia ora ano

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 02 Dec 2014 2:55pm ()

Hi Kate,

I will share with you our use of iPads and Chromebooks.  The choice is always going to be about what you want the device to do.  For us it has been split due to the functions that our students need.

We have a roll of 280 students.  120 of them are year 5-8 and they have their own Chromebooks (1:1 programme).  We also have about the same in the junior area.  These classes are not 1:1 but have a high ratio of iPads.  We feel that iPads are more suited for our junior area, as the workshops and classes our teachers offer for these students are more suited for use on an iPad.

Andre is essentially right.  Chromebooks are browser based, and because it utilises Chrome, there are many extensions and add-on's that our students and staff use that make the chromebook quite a powerful collaboration tool.   They can take photo's and video, but it is cumbersome to do so, and I rarely see students doing this on a Chromebook (unless recording themselves for a presentation, or in a hangout or skype session).   Our seniors are more suited for Chromebook as google drive works easier and more fluid on a Chromebook as opposed to an iPad.  The physical keyboard plays a big part, but the drive app on iOS is not great.  Students in our senior area would only use an iPad to complete work and participate in workshops if there was no other choice.  Its the extentions/add-on's that make the Chromebook so powerful.  They are all integrated, and there is no need to switch over and between apps.  iOS doesn't have the capability of running chrome (so wont run extentions) as they were meant to be, as iOS still uses safari's engine behind every browser you download off the app store. 

I guess the question for you in your choice is:

-Are we a GAFE school? (google apps for education) 

-Will our students be using this format for their work? 

• Susan Feron (View all users posts) 02 Dec 2014 2:55pm ()

I have a byod class of year 7&8. We use netbooks and a mixture of android and Ipad devices. My experience is that netbooks (and of course chromebooks) are fine with google docs but when it comes to more creative forms of learning ipads win hands down. I myself have androids because of the price. Give an ipad a bluetooth keyboard case and you effectively have a netbook. If money wasn't a big consideration I would definitely go ipad with bluetooth keyboard case. This solves the loose keyboard problem and gives a nice stand.
    My favorite apps for using are explain everything, book creator, google drive suite, imovie and microsoft 365. This is why I wonder whether chrone books would do the job. I would be checking out the chrome web store very carefully before buying chromebooks.
    I hope this helps
    Susan

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 02 Dec 2014 3:18pm ()

I have a 1:1 class of Year 5/6's and we use Chromebooks. We LOVE them. Most of the apps or programmes that we would use on a laptop or ipad have similar chrome extensions or apps. 

We have used wevideo this year or screencastify to create movies or presentations. While it's not easy taking photos using the chromebook it is possible. We also use the ipads (or my iphone) to take the photos which very quickly get emailed to themselves to use in movies or presentations. 

Chromebooks are amazing for using google drive (far better than the ipad app) and we use screencastify or educreations (via the web) in place of explain everything or show me.

I have found the children in my class have become much better at problem solving when they know there is no equivalent app and they search the chrome store or web to find something that does the same job. In this way we have found some awesome creative sites that they now use everyday!

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 03 Dec 2014 12:03pm ()

I always find these discussions interesting - learning why one school has gone one way and not another.

I think that it's important to firstly figure out what you want from a device (and why) and go from there comparing devices, trying them out if you can. Every school is different and has different needs. Some schools choose one device, others allow any device, and some use one device for juniors and one for seniors. All have valid reasons for doing what they did.

It's also important to remember that devices change/improve/get updated and needs change. Device choice may be something that is revisited regularly as new ones enter the market or pedagogical changes happen in the school meaning that the device you initially chose no longer meets your requirements.

• Tim (View all users posts) 03 Dec 2014 12:10pm ()

If you want to have multiple users on the same device - and be able to use and maintain their work independently, I'd seriously look at the Chromebook over the iPad. 

The iPad is by design built to have one user per device. Which is great for Apple's shareholders, but problematic in a school environment, especially if you're concerned about equity, or even trying to manage them.

Some more thoughts here: http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/02/why-googles-chromebooks-are-beating-apples-ipads-in-the-classroom/

Tim

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.