Search

Year 0/1 Self-Directed Numeracy

Started by Danella Smallridge 29 Nov 2014 6:57pm () Replies (4)

Here is my year 1 numeracy tracking sheet which the children colour in as they progress.  When they start school I put their entry point in using red.   It is a great way to make progress visible.  It also makes next learning steps obvious to teachers, students and parents.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85HAHSKpyjEUi1UWHZSQlppRkJfTWFvYUpCa1ZmRzVzcmkw/view?usp=sharing

In 2012 I set up a self-directed numeracy program in my year 1 class.  This blog tells how I got started, refined it and took it further.

numeracy4me.blogspot.co.nz/

What are other year 1 teachers doing to give students more autonomy in numeracy?

Replies

• Catherine Lynagh (View all users posts) 29 Nov 2014 7:19pm ()

Thanks for sharing Danella, you've given me lots of ideas for refining my maths programme for my Year 1s.

• Shirley Bailey (View all users posts) 21 Dec 2014 8:47pm ()

Hi Danella, thanks for sharing your resource.  I love it.  Unfortunately I can't seem to get into your blog.

Our Junior school use iCan sheets (not the powerpoint version) but a check sheet type of thing that includes both strategy and knowledge (for each Numeracy stage).  From Year 2 up we use a 'knowledge ladder' that students use to identify their next learning steps for knowledge at each Numeracy stage. 

Thanks again.

• Angelee Jarrett (View all users posts) 05 Jan 2015 9:00am ()

Thank you for sharing Danella! Sharing assessment strategies and recording forms is always so helpful!

i am very interested I. Reading about your journey on your blog but a unable to access it from the link. Are you able to try once more please! 

Angelee

Join this group to contribute to discussions.