Search

Chromebook Management Console

• Public
Started by Sylvie Vasar 19 Nov 2014 3:10pm () Replies (10)

Does anyone knows who purchases the management console? Is this paid for by the parents or the school?

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 3:13pm ()

It needs to be purchased when you purchase the chromebooks. 

The school would be the ones using the console, so it would stand to reason the school pays. If its for 1:1, and parents purchase the chromebooks, then the cost could be included in the administration aspect of the purchase price, in which parents pay.

If the school purchased the chromebooks, then it could be included in the 'stationary' fees for the school.

Or... the school could pay it out of their budget.    Lots of options.   

- Our school doesnt use this tool, we use 'Teacher Dashboard' by Hapara, and this cost is between $3-5 each year per students.  This is included into the stationary parents pay each year.  

• Sylvie Vasar (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 3:38pm ()

Thanks, Hamish.

We are using the Hapara Teacher Dashboard which is great. However, students have discovered that when they turn on "new incognito window" this disconnects their device from the Hapara Teacher Dashboard and teachers are unable to see their screen remotely.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 3:48pm ()

Hi Sylvie,

Yes this was a problem for us.  But after our 3rd year, students are no longer using the 'incognito' page.  We did this by making it an expectation that student don't delete their history, or use this 'incognito' feature.  By doing this, means you have something to hide, and you will recieve a consequence.  It stopped quickly.  We have a massive focus on student agency and learner dispositions.  Having internet restrictions really restricts student learning, so they hate it.   (hate not learning... funny eh!)

We still have 5% of students doing this, and I check this manually, and more often than not, they have restrictions on their app/extnetion/website access. 

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 4:03pm ()

Hi,

Just disallow Incognito mode in Admin console - https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/2657289?hl=en

Can't see any reason why students need this feature on?

I don't think you can do anything to stop students deleting their history though??

• Sylvie Vasar (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 6:23pm ()

Thanks Steve. Did not know about this. I managed to disable incognito mode and looking at all the other features, I don't think we will need to purchase the management console.

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 8:30pm ()

Yes, Steve is right there is a setting thst stops students from going into incognito and there is also a setting that disallows them from deleting the history. 

However, they can still go into guest mode, but if you use the interact version I think you can tell because they are using the chromebook but you can't see anything.

I am also pretty sure that you can purchase the management console after you have purchased the chromebooks from any reseller or through the admin console.

There is also now a change that you can transfer the management console license so that if you break a chromebook you can 'unenrol' it and then reenrol the new one as long as it is the same model.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2014 8:44am ()

When we looked at buying HP chromebooks we were told we had to buy the consol when purchasing the devices.  May have just been HP's policy then?  

I think that if schools are buying the chromebooks, then the console may be a good option.  Tracking each individual device may be useful for some schools.

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2014 8:35am ()

Hey Rob, 

I can see a setting in Admin under Browser History to Always Save or Never save Browser History.

Is this the setting that stops users deleting their history? 

I have had a play and it doesn't seem to work, though sometimes policies take a while to kick in...

Cheers

• Patrick Dunford (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2014 8:18pm ()

I believe Google requires you to buy the license for the Chromebook in order to activate it. Their official resellers will provision the licenses.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.