Search

MLE schools to visit

• Public
Started by Tanya Wells 19 Nov 2014 10:30am () Replies (6)

Hi,

I am looking for ideas of schools to visit with really awesome MLE practices/buildings for Juniors (Y0-2) as we plan stage 2 of our build at Pegasus Bay (purpose built junior block). I am particularly interested in schools in Melbourne. This gives an example of the kind of things we are thinking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU1-XX7ZwRY

Replies

• Sarah Webster (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 10:40am ()

Clarkville school is a great place to start. Having worked with them to redesign their junior team, I can say that they have had lots of practice and ideas to share about what works and what doesn't for juniors. :0) 

• Keryn Davis (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 11:16am ()

Hi Tanya,

I watched the video you shared. Thanks. It's great to see how that school (and yours) are thinking specifically about the design and approach for juniors.

I'm not 100% on the idea of having fixed, built areas (i.e. the Dragon Boat) like they have at the school in Melbourne. I need to think more about this, but my first response is that open-ended, flexible spaces is what is needed in junior areas. If we want to draw on children's existing and emerging funds of knowledge and interests, we'll need an environment that is flexible enough to respond to these, as and when it's needed. If the environment is too fixed, then potentially so are the outcomes for children. As they say on the video, we need to be clear about what we are aiming for pedagogically.

I'm undertaking some research with the NE team at Mairehau (Chch) around curriculum design in NE classrooms and we've been unpacking all the ins and outs of NE classrooms. The play-creativity-agency- thinking-belong-relationships 'connect' are central to all of this work. If we can be of any help please get in touch, we'd be happy to share our thinking with you.

Regards

Keryn Davis 021595667

• Tanya Wells (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 11:30am ()

thanks Keryn,

I would love to hear about your findings- we currently have 60 Y0/1s in an MLE space with 3 teachers. All of our MLE learning communities  at Pegasus Bay have the same layout/design- while there are great things about these we are now thinking about how to improve things i.e. breakout spaces off the central space rather than down a corridor, bigger wet floor areas etc so that children can be engaging in play, creativity and agency a lot more. Yes curriculum and pedagogy plays a big part in this.

thanks for replying :)

• Catherine Lynagh (View all users posts) 16 Aug 2015 11:00am ()

Hi Keryn

I'm really interested in your research and wondered if you have anything published about NE curriculum design.  Our school is undertaking an MLE renovation this year and will have a block for Year 0-4.  We are actively looking into the best ways to cater for our new entrants transitioning to school and our 5 and 6 year olds within this environment.  

I'd also be keen to hear from other schools about their NE curriculum and from anyone working in a multi-level MLE.

• Keryn Davis (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2014 2:04pm ()

No problem Tanya. Just give me a call sometime when you get the chance.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.