Search

Samsung software to download 90% of apple apps

• Public
Started by Johan Schnetler 18 Nov 2014 1:10pm () Replies (5)

Hi guys
I need your help to answer a question from one of our parents. The question is: 
Does Samsung have software available that will allow their tablets and chromebooks to be able to download 90% of the apple app?.

Any help would be appreciated.

Johan

Replies

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 3:14pm ()

Maybe, but depends what 90% of the Apps it can download! i.e. what percentage of quality educational apps are available, I would suggest much lower.

I recently had a parent ask me about Android devices. Off the top of my head I came up with the following Apps not available on Android - Adobe Voice,  iMovie, Puppet Pals, Write About NZ, KidBlog, Ministry of Education Texts, Popplet  and Garageband.

I have no idea if these Apps are supported for Samsung, but would be surprised if they did!

Also, we use Mirroring360 to airplay from our iPads and AirPrint to print - similar tools exist on the other side, but are different tools to invest in!

Hope this helps

Steve

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 3:26pm ()

Specifically to your questions.  No.  Android wont run any apple application.  However app developers have about 90% of the apple apps available on the Android OS.  So I think that is what they ment.  But apple specific apps like iMovie will most probably never be available on Android.

In saying that there are other video editing apps available, as well as productivity apps that are equally, if not better than apple's range.  Also its important to note that any web browser that's used on iOS only uses the safari code with a theme of firefox or chrome on top.  So you can only really use the safari web browser on an iOS device.  

One bonus on Android is the ability to customise a ROM for your school.  Have profiles, apps all preconfigured, and reimage each tablet directly and quickly.   I've created ROM's for school and they have loved this transition from apple to android. 

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 5:09pm ()

I put this together as a copy of my iPad site to support people in selecting some educational type apps for their Android devices.

https://sites.google.com/site/initialandroidsetup/home

There are some powerful apps listed there that you can also find in iTunes for iPads that are Android versions.

From the site look for links to

• Book Creator
    • Explain Everything
    • Pic Collage
    • Tellagami
    • Skitch
    • Blogger
    • Dropbox
    • Soundcloud

• Patrick Dunford (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2014 8:22pm ()
    One of the very big bonuses of Google platforms is the relative lack of lock-in. You aren’t limited in hardware choice, for example Android/ChromeOs devices have a lot of ports and you aren’t locked into the proprietary Lightning connector and its deliberate restrictions. I think I have to ask a real question why specific named apps not being present in the Google store is a problem. It is quite likely that equivalents are available to the Apple ones.

It’s also useful to remember that all of these devices use a battery and if you buy some for your school, say a class set, the possibility and future cost of battery replacement needs to be considered. A lot of the cheaper devices will have a relatively high cost for battery replacement out of warranty.

We have worked with several schools which have started with Ipads and are in the process of switching to Chromebook/Android because Ipads really are designed for the personal market and like a lot of Apple stuff they just aren’t interested in corporates or educational institutions these days.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.