Search

Twitter

• Public
Started by Sarah Parker 16 Nov 2014 8:37am () Replies (9)

I am looking for another class in NZ who is using twitter as a tool.  I have just introduced my year 5 & 6 class to our class twitter account. We will be using it to show our learning and look at, and reply to, the learning of others.  We are following 5 other schools, in Canada and the States, but would like to connect with a NZ school as well.  

Replies

• Kristen Price (View all users posts) 17 Nov 2014 8:21am ()

Hi Sarah,

It's not until next year but I plan on using twitter with my year 5 class in Hamilton.  Let me know if you are interested.

Kristen

• Sarah Parker (View all users posts) 17 Nov 2014 1:19pm ()

Thanks Kristen, I would be very interested.

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 17 Nov 2014 3:11pm ()

You may like to have a look at KIdsedchat. Kidsedchatnz is  New Zealand school's twitter chat that takes part every Thursday between 2-3pm. The aim of Kidsedchatnz is to motivate kids to be active, engaged and connected learners. Bound to find some other classes using twitter there. 

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2014 7:06am ()

Hi Sarah

There are loads of NZ teachers using twitter. Search lists for NZ teachers. Also add @kidsedchatnz and check out their blog. My class is @room11gms and mine is @jacindapanther. Let me know if you want to have a class to class twitter chat this week. I have 2 other classes that are just beginning as well.

• Sarah Parker (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2014 7:17am ()

Hi Jacinda,

Thanks so much for the advice.  I am not a twitter user myself but aren't going to let that stop my class.  Have a colleague coming in to talk to the class about the etiquette but would definitely be keen to  have a class to class twitter.  How do I go about this?  Currently we are uploading photos and replying to the classes we follow.  Thursday would be a great day for me as half of my class is at Ra Whakangahau so would have reduced numbers.  

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2014 8:22am ()

This is what we use to check our tweets - it doesn't always work. I didn't write it and can;t remember where I found it!

We will be continuously modeling quality during the process. Before we click the “tweet” button, the class will ask if their tweet:

* is Informative?     

* documents their learning?

* asks questions?

* responds to someone else’s question?

* curates information for specific audience?

* is grammatically correct?

* links to quality resources?

*adds value to any links re-tweeted?

* states its intent clearly?

* is globally conscious?

* is spelled correctly?

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2014 8:26am ()

Thursday afternoon we participate in Kidsedchatnz. Have a look at the website I posted earlier and follow @kidsedchatnz. They will then add you to the list. This weeks topic is about being an entrepreneur.

• Sarah Parker (View all users posts) 18 Nov 2014 1:43pm ()

Thanks for both, tweet check and link.  Have signed up so will give it a go.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the classroom - Connecting school to the wider community with and about technologies.