Search

Chromebooks vs Netbooks

• Public
Started by Lynne Crowe 05 Nov 2014 6:32pm () Replies (13)

I have a colleague trying to promote a HP Stream Netbook (2gb Ram, 32 Gb Hardrive) as an alternative to a chromebook for students. I am sold on Chromebooks but would really appreciate any comments about Netbooks in schools.

Replies

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 13 Nov 2014 2:35pm ()

We are utilise a variety of platforms across the school. In Yr 5-6 we are a developing 1:1 environment using GAFE and chromebooks. These devices are supported by hardware that the school purchases including ipads and iMacs. 

We have found very few limitations with our chromebooks except for some initial connectivity issues. We have found that within the programmes the web tools that we use have been hassle free and have had more issues with our 3 year old iMacs than the chromebooks software wise. I personally do not like windows due to the extra management required. Anybody with some technical interest can manage the chromebook environment with ease. I agree that 2GB RAM is a limitation of all devices but this will increase (as will cost) but has been sufficient for our programmes form multimedia creations, streaming to basic applications and browsing.

In the end it is what you want to achieve for your students and the path that you want to talk. Just my 2 cents :)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.