Search

What assessment tools/strategies used with Pasifika students have brought successful outcomes?

Started by Te Mako Orzecki 05 Nov 2014 11:42am () Replies (3)

Māori medium schooling are currently going through a process of establishing a position in Aromatawai based on redefining what aromatawai means in a Māori context, via publications like Rukuhia Rarangahia, and Tau Mai te reo that support these views. I would be interested to know if the assessment tools currently used in schools have been successful with Pasifika students either by the way they are used by teachers, how they may have been adapted to reflect culture and stronger engagement of students in the learning, and how/ if communities, parents etc play a part in the assessment? 

Replies

• Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2014 11:58am ()

Are you asking about the impact of the same assessment tools used specifically in Māori medium schools for Pasifika learners or are you asking about assessment tools used in schools generally for Pasifika leaners?  I would need to check out Rukuhia Rarangahia and Tau mai te reo to see if there are parallels.

One strong example I can tell you is that I have engaged with parents/members of the Pasifika community to co-construct assessment schedules for dance achievement standards that were used for students to gain credits for ASB Polyfest.  The credits were not only offered to Pasifika learners but also to students of all ethnic groups who happened to be performing in the dance groups.

• Te Mako Orzecki (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2014 12:24pm ()

Kia ora Manu, Yes i was referring to assessment tools in general. I was trying to give the example of how Māori medium have started the process of redefining what assessment/ aromatawai means to them and if there is similar sentiments with teachers of Pasifika students in trying to achieve greater outcomes for their Pasifika students.

The example you give is the one that I was thinking about with the ASB Polyfest which I think is an awesome example. I'm interested to know if there are other examples like the one you've mentioned that other teachers are doing, perhaps in other curriculum areas?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.