Search

School website

• Public
Started by Tracey Schumacher 03 Nov 2014 10:03pm () Replies (6)

Hi All.  We are finally getting around to getting a website but aren't sure who to go with to design and host it. We are looking at Spike at school but the monthly charge of $50 seems a lot for our small school. I dont know much about all this so can anyone let me know who designed their website and how much it costs per month/ year? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• Steven Wills (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2014 10:36pm ()

I would highly recommend using the free website builder weebly. Although it may seem daunting to create your own site it is a simple drag and drop site which requires no coding. The support they offer is superb and their YouTube channel gives some great ideas. Spend no money now!

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 03 Nov 2014 10:42pm ()

I would use a Google Site as a school website- it is free, can have multiple editors and embedding children's work is really easy.

I have a template site that I am happy to copy for you to personalise if you would like.

Here are some examples of sites written in Google Sites

http://www.parklands.school.nz/

http://www.normandale.school.nz/

http://www.konini-primary.school.nz/

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2014 7:00am ()

I also highly recommend Weebly, if you're looking for a cheap, easy option that teachers at school can edit without relying on someone really technical to set up or maintain.

You can drag and drop to get what you want. We pay for the Pro account, which is a small amount (from memory something like US$39 per year). On top of that we pay the usual small annual fee for our Domain name. We look after the site completely on our own and it's very easy to update. Different groups of people have access to edit different pages.

We looked at a lot of other school websites, then planned our site on paper. Then we had a web designer set up a couple of the techie things, then got on and made the site our own - we learnt by doing. We didn't want a site that looked sterile, or full of clip art. Our site is designed to give a feel for our school and the culture and learning that goes on there. You can see the result at Springston School. It might suit your small school very well.

• Steven Wills (View all users posts) 04 Nov 2014 7:23am ()

What I particularly like is that all the page elements that you can add sit to the side and remind teachers what can be added to the web page or blog page. The major benefit of the pro account is that you can allow teachers to edit only pages relevant to them. Also all page elements such as slideshows and galleries are visible on all devices. Pages can be divided vertically and horizontally allowing a really professional look.

• Tracey Schumacher (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2014 1:35pm ()

Thanks everybody. Will relay your advice! 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the classroom - Connecting school to the wider community with and about technologies.