Search

Best Chromebook Model - 2 vs 4 Gb

Started by Grant Peacock 31 Oct 2014 8:28am () Replies (6)

Hi all

We are hoping to begin a lease on our first Chromebooks very soon.  We are currently researching the best model and hope to benefit from the experience of others.  We would love to hear your stories (positive or negative) about the Chromebook brands/models.

One question we have in particular is the extend of RAM - is 2Gb or 4Gb better.  Obviously the more the  merrier when it comes to RAM but here is often a considerable difference in price.  How have those who have selected 2Gb models found their performance?

What other options would you advise - Display Port vs HDMI, SD Card slot, USB ports?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Grant

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2014 8:42am ()

Hi Grant,

From 2013 until now, we ran with the Samsung xe303c Chromebook.  The price of this unit is currently around $380 including gst and 3 year commercial warrantee.   This device only has 2Gb of RAM, and this device is becoming quite slow.  (Since google have updates their 'drive' range of applications) and this will always happen.  New features slow down systems, and from 2015 onwards, I wouldn't go for less than 4Gb.   Even 3Gb would only really be usable through 2015.  (IMHO)

This year I tested the HP 14", Acer 11" and Samsung Gen 4 model.  All have the intel duel core 1.7ghz processor (22nm architecture, so far better than the Celeron range of processors) 4Gb RAM, 16Gb HDD.  For us it came down to the build quality and portability.  **We are going with the Acer c720 touch**

Our students don't often use the SD card slot.  They use iMac's for video editing as Chromebooks are quite combersome to edit videos.  (upload to website, edit, download to computer, upload to youtube... quite the process I think you would agree)

USB slots are fine... our students realy use them, but good to have a couple.  Since we are a GAFE school, storage is on cloud so USB drives are a thing of the past for us.  We also hardly print anymore, infact students don't have access to print.   The HDMI port is quite important, especially if you don't have use a Chromecast or another air server.  Our students often plug in for their presentations and run a workshop.

Hope that helps... 

• Grant Peacock (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2014 3:30pm ()

Hi Hamish

Thanks yes!  That helps a lot.  I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the three Chromebooks you tested this year.  They are the three models (along with a Lenovo) that we have been researching - no actual hands on experience with them though.

Grant

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2014 4:07pm ()

I liked the HP best.  It had a larger keyboard which suits adult hands better.  Larger screen real-estate.  so more functional.  But to replace a screen would be $400 so its almost better to just buy another device!  Crazy!!

The Samsung was a good unit.  Pretty close to the HP.  Not quite the build quality of the HP, but was the same price for a screen repair.  

Students liked the Acer best.  (Even before I told them it was touch screen.)  

I haven't managed to source a screen for either Acer or HP, I'm hoping that I can find some for the Acer next year...  as i buy and replace the screens myself to save us money. 

Any questions just let me know via email...  : )

• Hilary Rodley (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2014 4:13pm ()

Hi there,

We have had the Samsungs this year but have heard from a couple of industry sources that Samsung NZ will no longer be importing them.  So there may be some still in the country, but you have to wonder about support etc from here on.

Next year we are going with the HP 11".  They feel robust and we have been offered them at a good price.

• Kararaina Luke (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2014 4:24pm ()

Hi there, 

We purchased chromebooks this year.  we did lots of research, acquired test models to try.

HP 11"  we loved BUT they are not HDMI capable

We went with the ACER - very sturdy casing, good camera, kids love them great processors  reasonable price.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.