Search

Multiple users on on Chroombooks

Started by Katarina Moore 28 Oct 2014 8:46pm () Replies (13)

Hi all

We are planning to run a few 1:2 classrooms 2015. The devices will be school owned. At the moment we are investigating iPads vs Chromebooks (or laptops). I'm leaning towards Cromebooks (+ 5 iPads for imovie, Showme etc). My main reason for this is that I use GAFE and  my year 5&6 students currently prefers to use the laptop over the ipads when they work on google docs, presentations etc. I haven't got a lot of experience with Chromebooks (just tried one a couple of times) more than reading and talking to other teachers,

As we are having 1:2 I'm wondering, can you have dual logins on the Chromebooks or is it better to have an ordianry laptop? Any other advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers

Katarina

Replies

• Alex Wagner (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2014 1:11am ()

Hey Katarina!

So, you can definitely have dual log-ins.  You can do this a couple ways... but I really only suggest one.  The one I don't suggest, is, you can make the chromebook (in your google admin console) a "public kiosk" meaning that it is pretty much in guest mode, and anyone can login.  The second thing you can do is make all of your students domain emails, and get them all set up into Organizational Units in your google admin console, and have them all log-in as who they are.  I HIGHLY reccomend this.  But yes, it doesn't matter how many users you have using the chromebook, you can have 14 people using one chromebook.  Just make sure they all have their own login.  If they all use the same logins, you can easily keep track of who is going to what site, etc (visit my profile for any questions on this sort of software), and it's just easier and more manageable this way.

I highly recommend the chromebooks for an educational setting.  Google is really making it easy, and, they're just starting.  I can't wait to see the kinds of things they come up with for the educational sector.  I have a laptop and a chromebook, and I prefer the chromebook for nearly everything.  (I got a touch screen one, too, it's pretty awesome).  The only thing I wish, is that I wish I would have gotten one with a bigger screen... but other than that, they're amazing.

Hope this helps!

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2014 7:18am ()

Thanks Alex, yes this is very helpful. It's all very exciting!

Katarina 

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2014 11:57am ()

We have Chromebooks that are multiuser Chromebooks. They work really well as all our students have gmail accounts and they use their login.

The Chromebooks are stored in COWs and then booked out by the classroom teachers. One of the biggest issue has been training the students to log out of their account at the end of the session. Seems to work well with a few firewall issues at times.

Good luck. They are so light easy to use and power up fast, as well as having a good battery life. Charge overnight lasts the whole day.

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2014 9:47pm ()

Thanks for the advice Heather, good to know. 

• Dave Winter (View all users posts) 30 Oct 2014 10:35pm ()

Some good advice there Katarina. The chromebooks will hold upto 16 profiles which means that it is easy for the different students to login. They will only need their password once they have established their account. You can tidy up the profiles later by removing them from the startup screen if you need to.

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 3:25pm ()

Hey Katarina,

You mentioned ShowMe in your original question as an example of an App you use on your iPads.

PixiClip is a pretty good alternative for your Chromebooks. 

If you are having success with laptops currently, you will find Chromebooks a breeze!

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 9:35pm ()

Thank you Steve, for sharing PixiClip. It liiks just like something I was looking for!

Katarina

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2014 9:25am ()

Hi Steve

Jsut had a quick look at this Pixiclip. Looks good, but can you embed into a blog?

• MeganCroll1 (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 9:31pm ()

Thanks for sharing PixiClip Steve.   It looks like a great on-screen recording webtool.   

We leased 50 Acer Chromebooks earlier this year and split them between our 9 Year 5-8 classes.   They are just the best!  Far better than the netbooks that we previously had.   

We store 5 in a plastic box/crate and they are picked up from my 'home' class and returned at the end of the day.  Student monitors are responsible for connecting them to power before they go home and I turn them off before I leave at the end of the day.  

The rooms are locked during break time - this security practise is preparing us for BYOD in 2015.

All has worked well so far.

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2014 9:35am ()

Sure can, once you finish Publish and Share and determine what sharing access is required.

Once published, a 'Share' button gives you an embed code to copy and paste into your prefered blogging platform. They even give you different size options so you don't have to manually change the embed code :)

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2014 10:02am ()

Do you have to create an account, or does it work fine without one?

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 20 Nov 2014 9:29am ()

Getting student support in the mornings and afternoon with sorting out the ipads/ chromebooks for collection is a must have. They love the responsibility and they are reliable (usually) It is actually quite a time consuming process.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.