Search

Implementing GAFE using iPads.

• Public
Started by Sheryl Nagels 23 Oct 2014 11:05am () Replies (2)

I am interested in connecting with schools who have chosen to implement GAFE using iPads. Maybe schools have a mix of devices but iPads are in there being used for Google. I'm hearing some people say no it's too hard and others saying it's doable. I'd love to hear your experiences. We are traditionally an Apple school looking to implement GAFE in our senior school. We are not opposed to Chromebooks and a mixed model however we already have iPads in the school and love the quality/functionality of these devices. 

Replies

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 19 Nov 2014 2:49pm ()

Hey Sheryl,

We have a mixture of school owned Chromebooks, old Windows Desktops and iPad Minis. In 2015 our Year 5/6 students have the option of bringing an iPad or Chromebook.

iPads do work in the GAFE environment. My recommendations are;

- Have the Google Drive App installed. Use this App wherever possible to save work e.g. take photos straight from this App, so they sync straight to your Google Drive account.

- I would also install Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides and Google Chrome Apps!

At times, using the Chrome browser to access of Docs/Slides works better than the actual Apps.

One of the biggest inconveniences with our school owned iPads is students not logging out of their Google Accounts, then other students accidently using their Drive! This will not be an issue with BYO :)

Hope this helps :)

Steve

Join this group to contribute to discussions.