Search

Creating QR codes with audio files

• Public
Started by VickiPimenta 20 Oct 2014 11:33am () Replies (6)

I was wondering what tool people are using to create QR codes for audio files.  We were recording the audio on Vocaroo and then creating the QR code, but this is only valid for 6 months.  We have just re recorded all our audio files and uploaded to Google Drive, and then copied the link into QRStuff.com, but there has got to be an easier way!  Any suggestions welcomed :)

Replies

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 20 Oct 2014 1:39pm ()

Hi Vicki

You can create QR codes from any weblink using http://goo.gl/

Would love to hear more about how you are using QR codes...

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 20 Oct 2014 6:44pm ()

Hi Vicki

QR codes - an amazing way to provide kids with instant error free (most of the time) access. We saw them used in many ways during our Educator Tour of California in April especially in Junior rooms. I have spent a lot of time this year talking to teachers about the range of ways they can be used, and there are many.

Your 'question has two parts.

The first is online recording and storing. As you note Vocarro has a six months limit, Croak (an app as well) has 30 seconds which is good for quick instructions and some of the text to speech recording options such as qrvoice seem limited to number of characters. The best I have found is either recordmp3.org (web based) or Audio Boom (App) which allow up to 10 minutes of recording which are then stored on the respective sites. Audio Boom has a QR code option when you access the file. Recordmp3 is really easy to use and gives you a URL but no access to a list of your files. In AudioBoom your files are stored in a Playlist though it is not the simplest site to work in. I have to say am not sure how long these last though I have had recordmp3 files for over a year. These approaches allow you to use direct quite simple input recording and provide a URL that you can then enter into a QR generator.

Secondly stored files. You can use Dropbox, Box, Google Drive among others as an online filing system to store your files. Each of these allow you to generate a public link that gives you a URL (Often long and complicated) that can then be turned into a QR code. You do need a site that when accessed the file is immediately playable - click and go. I know Dropbox and Box do this. Having generated 100s of codes I have tried a couple of bulk options - first you have to get your links then copy and paste individually into a spreadsheet and then use an online generator, download a file and then copy and paste the codes (which were confusingly arranged!!) to then print it out. I have gone back to copy and paste the URL straight into a generator!!!!!  I use qrcode monkey for most and then copy and paste the code into a document for storing and printing. Goo.gl results in a simpler code but has an extra step - I have never had a problem scanning more complex codes. For me i-nigma is the reader of choice. 
    The biggest challenge becomes the organisation and storage of the files. They must be somewhere were they will not be ‘messed’ with, they quickly start taking up space and they MUST (did i say must!) be backed up. Working from the ‘cloud’ you obviously need good wifi, less of a challenge now days but still an issue especially when streaming. An alternative is the app QR Jump which allows you to generate a QR code that links to an audio file housed in the Music library of the local iPad. The child scans the code on the cover of a book and immediately I listening to that book. This does mean loading and unloading files through iTunes as they must be on each iPad.It is good for juniors where you don’t always want them heading out into cyberspace. TQR Jump was developed by one of the teachers we visit in California - specifically for his Yr 1s.
    Just as an aside if any school has all of the audio files off the Journal (Readalong and other) CDs I would love to work with them on a solution to simple access - contact me separately.
    Hope this helps Vicki. Not totally an answer to your question but I hope a bit more information.

I have been working with schools to develop simple access to the Radio NZ library of NZ books for kids - scan and play for reading rotation, listening post etc. To help enable this I have compiled a commercial resource containing 228 QR codes that link to the individual files. Yes you could do your own and I would encourage you to spend the many, many hours it takes, really where Vicki’s question started. However if you are interested follow the link below.

• VickiPimenta (View all users posts) 24 Oct 2014 8:30am ()

Thanks Innes for such a detailed reply, I will certainly be trying these options.

Lavinia - we are using them to help our Junior Students with their learning steps, using the learning progressions for children to scan the code to see what they need to do next in reading, with writing and numeracy next on the agenda :)

Thanks again

Vicki

• Lavinia Robyns (View all users posts) 24 Oct 2014 10:44am ()

I am exploring how to link QR codes to oral feedback and reflections to support students with mapping their learning against the Literacy Progressions - in particular for Writing. It sounds like we are thinking along the same lines.  I will keep you posted and would like to hear of your progress.  Have you thought about doing the Postgraduate Course in Digital and Collaborative learning with the Mind Lab?

• VickiPimenta (View all users posts) 24 Oct 2014 10:58am ()

Hi Lavinia

I think we should get together in the next couple of weeks and see if we can help each other out, what do you think?

The Post grad course at Mind lab sounds amazing, I went to the open afternoon last week and felt very inspired.  A couple of teachers from here are going to do the course next year and are certainly looking forward to the challenge.  I would have been signed up too, but am taking next year off to look after my wee bub who is due in Feb :)

Drop me an email about catching up - vickip@konini.school.nz

Join this group to contribute to discussions.