Search

“Data use is a task for school leaders, and not teachers. My job is to teach and to take care of the children in my classroom.”

• Public
Started by Mark Maddren 08 Oct 2014 12:37pm () Replies (3)

Data use is a task for school leaders, and not teachers. My job is to teach and to take care of the children in my classroom.” 

Is this a reasonable statement?

Replies

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 13 Oct 2014 8:55am ()

Wow, Mark! What a great challenging question to get things kicked off!

My first thought was that we need data to help us improve our practice as teachers. We need to base what we are doing on something!

I then considered what "data" is. While my initial thoughts here was statistical data - results of assessments - I then thought that actually we gather data every day as teachers. We are gathering, I guess it's qualitative data through observing our students - what they are doing, what they are asking, are they engaged etc. 

I suppose we could ignore this data, but this isn't going to help make us better teachers. All of the data, whether it be qualitative or quantitative needs to be analysed, interepreted and relfected on with the aim to make ourselves better at what we do and give greater opportunities to our students for learning.

So, coming back to the original statement. If "my job is to teach and to take care of the children in my classroom", then I need data to ensure I am doing the best job I possibly can and to use it to make appropriate changes to my practice.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.