Search

School Facebook Page: Policies and Procedures

• Public
Started by Mary-Anne Murphy 29 Sep 2014 9:13am () Replies (5)

Kia ora Koutou

I am posting this query on behalf of a school beginning the journey of using Facebook to connect with their community:
We are looking into setting up a Facebook account for our school as a way of communicating information to our parents.  I am wondering if you have any information that may support us in this process.  We are wondering how schools manage the account. How to set it up so that we can delete inappropriate comments etc.

Would love to hear from those who have been through the process, including any policies and procedures you might be willing to share.

Thanks in advance :)
Mary-Anne 

Replies

• Cathiesten (View all users posts) 29 Sep 2014 10:44am ()

We have a Facebook page that an only be edited by the person who set it up and those. With the login information.  The owner of the site is our DP and she can take out comments.  We find it really good for sharing activities notices, reminders about events, celebrations etc.  

• Kristen Price (View all users posts) 29 Sep 2014 12:15pm ()

Hi,

We have a facebook page that has myself and the principal as admin.  I set it up but you can add as many admin as you like or need to (that all have the same rights as each other).  We can add and delete comments but very rarely have we had too (possibly once in three years).  If other teachers want to post something they just email us pictures and what they want to say and we put it up.  Using the "Pages" app makes it easy to use too.  We use it for sharing news, reminders, students work, you can add a pdf newsletter, photos etc.  I think the less people you have as admin the better just to make it easier to manage what is appearing on it and the ability to be able to delete comments.  The only thing you can't delete or change are the reviews that people post.

Also one last thing make sure you set it up as a page for a school rather than a page for a person (sounds obvious but I have seen it done).

Search for Otorohanga Primary School on facebook to see our page and if you have any other questions just ask.

Cheers

Kristen :)

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 29 Sep 2014 1:39pm ()

Thanks for posting this Mary-Anne.  A kura that I'm working in is also considering setting up a page.  

We've looked at a few school pages already and are also deciding about who might best manage the space etc.  

A school that I know of created a page for a specific event - There were regular reminders added prior to the event about activities planned, about help required and it also included regular updates about who was attending. Several people were notified through tags (tagging facebook friends in messages), and info was spread wider by those few sharing the info on by 'sharing' the post with other facebook friends. 

Photographs and comments were shared during the event and it was awesome to check in as I wasn't able to attend myself.

After the event anonymous student reflections were shared about the day.  Those are a few ideas to consider.

I'll be following this post for more Facebook tips and tricks.

• Tamara Toaolamai (View all users posts) 22 Dec 2014 5:01pm ()

I've been deciding on whether to have a specific class page set up for notices and information. My students are Y8 and the majority have facebook with parental consent. Our school doesn't have a page and no plans to have one. Having discussed this with a friend who teaches the same age at a different school, she has found it incredibly valuable for numerous reasons.

I'm thinking it could help monitor some cyber bullying and perhaps make students more aware of what they are putting out there on the internet.

Feedback welcome laugh

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the Classroom

Beyond the classroom - Connecting school to the wider community with and about technologies.