Search

Ko Wai Au? Who Am I? See My Voice?

• Public
Started by Roxy Hickman 19 Sep 2014 12:00pm () Replies (3)

UDL Guideline 2.4: Promote understanding across languages

There are currently only two trilingual interpreters within NZ who can fluently communicate in English, Te reo maori and NZ Sign. This video dives into the importance of connecting with culture for these five students.

"Ko Wai Au (See My Voice) is an exhibition empowering Māori rangatahi who identify as Deaf to communicate with others leading to a wider understanding of aspirations as young Deaf Māori. This video captures an inspiring dialogue from six rangatahi."

Watch a video acknowledging the team behind Ko Wai Au: http://youtu.be/oF3xwL2-N1U 

For our students with  special education needs, how do we build their sense of identity that is not based around their "disability" but is inspired by their culture? 

Read more on:

Replies

• Vivita Rabo (View all users posts) 13 Oct 2014 7:44pm ()

Awesome clip, thanks Roxy for sharing :) Building on a sense of identity from a pluralistic world can be confusing to navigate through but acknowledging the beauty of these worlds strengthens one's sense of identity and sense of belonging to the communities he or she is attached to. From my experiences of being a Teacher of the Deaf for KDEC, Maori students or Pasifika students with hearing impairment both identify themselves with the Deaf culture/community as well as their individual cultural heritage of Maori or Pasifika. Getting to know the different worlds they belong with is evident in the different activities or programs that they immerse themselves in regardless of their 'disability' such as the school's Kapa Haka group, Polynesian 'dances' in school organized cultural and social events. As within curriculum learning strands, developing my understanding of their cultural background through their Art pieces, this comes alive reflecting their interests, their passion and aspirations.

• Roxy Hickman (View all users posts) 15 Oct 2014 10:25am ()

Vivita, 

Thank you for sharing with us your experiences - The Arts lend nicely to exploring cultural heritage where communicating through language is a barrier. It would be lovely to hear more student stories in other means of action and expression to the video above. 

Also, congratulations on becoming an e-Fellow! We were so pleased to see you at #ULearn14 representing learners with special education needs and the deaf community in your inquiry! We will be following your journey with great interest. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.