Search

Teaching kids typing skills??

Started by Tash Jacobs 16 Sep 2014 9:11am () Replies (47)

A collegue and I were chatting recently about the debate over need to teach our students handwriting in this new fast changing digital world.  We ended up pondering and debating over the question..

Should we be teaching our students to touch type from an early age?

Since this discussion I have watched several older students typing away somewhat inefficiently with their two finger styles (which are now so embedded as to be hard to change).  

We would be really interested to know what others are thinking and doing around this topic.

Replies

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2014 12:34pm ()

I am so excited by all the responses pouring in.  To be honest part of my motivation for posting this discussion was to illustrate to many colleagues just how valuable being part of an online community is....this discussion between merely two educators has increased to the ideas and opinions of 7 others in less than 3 hours.  Keep the ideas and opinions coming! Smile

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2014 11:41am ()

What are your thoughts around why we are having such trouble with kids and their pencil grips?

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 19 Sep 2014 2:05pm ()

So many thought provoking notions throughout this discussion...Thank you for the link to the New York Times Janet.  This resonated well with me because, although I am digitally competent and love my devices, I prefer to take notes with pen and paper.  How interesting to read about all the ways our brain makes different pathways and the possible impacts in the longterm.

Jill I think your final comment says it in a nutshell...

'Assess what students are gaining and or losing through the activities with which we fill their day.'

Teaching as Inquiry is such a wonderful place to GROW from.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.