Search

Book Group #1: Key Competencies for the Future, with NZCER | from 3rd October

Started by Karen Spencer 14 Sep 2014 12:48pm () Replies (36)

NZCER Key CompetenciesWe are delighted that NZCER will be hosting the first NZ Book Group in Connected Educator Month this year.

The new publication, Key Competencies for the Future, will be spotlighted through webinars and online discussions. This is a wonderful opportunity for educators across New Zealand and beyond to come together online to talk to the authors and explore the themes in the book. Join Sally Boyd, Rose Hipkins, Rachel Bolstad and Sue McDowall as they share their thoughts on this popular new publication.

Recordings from the Book Group

Meanwhile, check out this video in which the authors, Sally Boyd, Rose Hipkins, Rachel Bolstad and Sue McDowall, talk about what some of their values are and how these values helped frame the discussions in their new book:

M logoBrought to you with the support of Microsoft, our National Connector partner.

Replies

• Camilla (View all users posts) 15 Oct 2014 7:02pm ()

Hi Steph, 

I'm looking through the same lens as you as a junior school teacher. we are a PYP school, so for each unit of inquiry that we engage our learners in there is a central idea, they are usually pretty wordy and we then unpack the concepts within the idea, such as responsibility, function, perspectives etc. 

Our central idea for term 4 is: 

Public spaces provide people with opportunities to make connections and establish a sense of community.

This was provoked by a 5 year old coming in and stating quite bluntly "the junior playgound is boring". This turned into a unit of work to convince the BOT that we would like to change it, what our community wanted and could we please have some money. To extend on our learning from becoming a stand alone project, the cental idea was formed for this term. Students will work on developing their understanding of what public spaces are, where they are, how people are responsible for them, how people use them and how they are important to communties. We will start locally, but can go further into national and maybe international (i was thinking about skype classroom maybe).

When I reflected on this central idea, I wondered about wicked problems what I could tease out within this idea, that is appropriate for 5 and 6 year olds. 

I brainstormed a few possibles, but i'm not really sure if they're wicked per se Innocent and some of them are definitely more 'senior school':

- the financial/political and environmental impacts of public spaces (parks, maintanence, using natuaral resources to make things and reducing public spaces - Yogi Bear the movie sprang into my mind as a provocaiton here).

- rights to public spaces - does everybody have equal access to public spaces (dogs on the beach at certain times etc., but also larger scale)? do all countries have some sort of public spaces?

- increasing city sizes and population and the implications for public spaces, are they used for housing developments (Urbanisation sprawl) - Auckland

- who has a say in what public spaces we have? Which groups (religious, ethnic, political) make the decisions (CHCH earthquake?)

I'm still pondering all this and it will be interesting to see where the inquiry heads as we unpack the notion of public spaces more. One provocation we might do is next week split the class into a few teams and have them plan and re-arrange our classroom to think about how different people use our public space and how we might have different ideas about what is best - i'm sure we will have a lot of 'debate/falling out' over what is best. Another next step is the working bee domolition of our existing playground on the weekend...

• Camilla (View all users posts) 17 Oct 2014 12:34pm ()

Hi Rachel, 

I watched this doco (The Human Scale) a couple of weeks ago - through Apple TV. We really enjoyed it and it makes you condiser the implications of what/who drives design and the unintended social/emotional outcomes on humanity (in the doco's case around city planning, but in our minds education). Less haste, more speed springs to mind. We can never 'know' an outcome to solving a problem, wicked or non-wicked, we can merely predict, because there are so many competing factors that influence the outcome. Lessons learned from the past. 

One thing that struck me was the intial resistance to change and if the public at large could see the big picture benefits, or were more focused on the 'immediate' displacement of their everyday norms.

But anywho, that's not really related to this book group. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Connected Educator NZ-Aotearoa

Connected Educator NZ-Aotearoa

The home of Connected Educator NZ-Aotearoa in the VLN.